Spotting old books and magazines and dummy newspapers in TV, movies and old photos

From Glen or Glenda? (1953)

X (2).jpg

Not the most convincing paste-up job.

Jean-Louis Trintignant comes out of a newsagents towards the end of Alain Robbe-Grillet's Trans-Europe Express (1966).

vlcsnap-2022-10-18-01h02m16s825.png

In the window behind him a whole pile of Belgian comic books - the only ones I can identify off the top of my head are:
Top row 3rd from left
Couv_118.jpg

Second row 3rd
Couv_18734.jpg

(The lettering on the top is different because that may be a Flemish edition.)
+ 4th
Spirou&Fantasio15ZcommeZorglubC_15102003.jpg

Jean-Louis Trintignant comes out of a newsagents towards the end of Alain Robbe-Grillet's Trans-Europe Express (1966).

View attachment 94199

In the window behind him a whole pile of Belgian comic books - the only ones I can identify off the top of my head are:
Top row 3rd from left
Couv_118.jpg

Second row 3rd
Couv_18734.jpg

(The lettering on the top is different because that may be a Flemish edition.)
+ 4th
Spirou&Fantasio15ZcommeZorglubC_15102003.jpg
There must be an analogous shot in A Bout de Souffle, quite apart from Jean Seaberg selling the International Herald Tribune to passing Parisian motorists.

From “The Oddfather,” a Sanford and Son 5th season teleplay, 2 Jan. 1976. “Giant Plane Found; All Aboard Safe.”
9E8E37B6-BD6A-4479-B7E5-D2D01203FE04.jpeg

I tried to identify some of the ones not identified in the first posting & struck out, so way to go, y'all.

The middle book on the lowest shelf is clearly JACKSON something, but searching under JACKSON MANHUNT, which seemed to be a possibility, strikes out.

Last edited:
I tried to identify some of the ones not identified in the first posting & struck out, so way to go, y'all.

The middle book on the lowest shelf is clearly JACKSON something, but searching under JACKSON MANHUNT, which seemed to be a possibility, strikes out.
jackson_jive_01.jpg

Jackson Mahaffey by Fred Ross - Bantam Books.

Amazing spotting going on here. What's the Ben Hecht book on the middle shelf?