Spotting old books and magazines and dummy newspapers in TV, movies and old photos

So that leaves the one on the left and the one on the right on the bottom shelf.

Bottom right:

5247387679_36ffcb68dc_z.jpg

Bantam Books 34 - Francis Allan - First Come, First Kill

Bantam Books 34, 1946
Cover Artist: Arnold

The British cover is also attractive -- though the "comedy" might deflect that interest, for some of us. T

1669330660903.png

One could figure out the period when the ones that have been identified were released, and look to see which publishers were predominant, and then see if something turned up as a match for this remaining book. But that surpasses my interest, partly because many of those early "pocket book" editions of mystery fiction had sleazy covers. One understands better, having seen a generous sample thereof, why authors might prefer not to have their works released in paperback and why publishers of such might question whether there was much market for books aimed at other audiences.

I have some old magazines that were distributed free to American schoolkids in the second half of the 1960s, and you can see there the effort to promote paperbacks for middle school kids, reaching out to them with classics that by then were being reprinted with tasteful covers, and also innocuous TV tie-ins for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Twilight Zone, or the like.

1669336201474.png
1669336308727.png

Actually, I don't think we figured out what the woman's book is....

It's called "My Memories of Mexico". If you watch the film this scene takes place at the 42 minute mark. I have been unable to find anything called "My Memories of Mexico" and looking at the book in her hand as the film plays it looks very phoney. It appears to me to be a printed paper wraped around another book. There's no writing on the spine and very little in the way of design. Just some lettering on the front and vague space filling stuff on the back. I'd bet, as it was a prop not just set dressing, a generic, not very interesting, cover was knocked up so as not to distract the audience.

O.K., not a movie but better.
View attachment 96652
Looks like some 25c Bantam paperbacks in the foreground. I'll bet somebody could actually figure out what the one above the bantam rooster trademark is (just before the word "Complete"). I'm not completely sure about the Bantam but figure that must be what it is.