The Orville - 2.09: Identity, Part 2

From what I've been reading, both the fans and critics alike, now love this show. The previously 'haters' are now eating their own words. I have to say, I was very negative myself about some of the Season 1 comedy, but this kind of old fashioned science fiction approach, I have absolutely no problem with. I miss TV that was like this.

I can't find any spoilers about the second part, except what we see in this trailer. Some desperate 25th hour plan. I notice that as well as the red-eyed Kalons, and Isaac, with the blue-eyes, there are also some orange-eyed Kalon. The significance escapes me at the moment.

One possible outcome would be for the Krill to join the alliance.
You called it.

krillrescue.jpg

A great two-parter conclusion -- lots of plot, action, just the right amount of humor from Gordon and Yaphet and a happily everafter for all -- except that unfortunate red shirt who was spaced. The closeup of his frozen body floating through space was straight out of The Expanse.

I notice that as well as the red-eyed Kalons, and Isaac, with the blue-eyes, there are also some orange-eyed Kalon. The significance escapes me at the moment.

It looked like the Primary Kaylon had the red eyes, while his secondaries were orange-eyed. Isaac's blue eyes may have served no purpose other than helping viewers identify him among the Kaylon troops. I noted that he had eye-matching weaponry.

kayloneyes.jpg

:oops: I almost like how they resolved this situation. I was expecting something different. Almost, but there are a few things I dislike.

As it is the first time they've done a two-part episode, they obviously think it is good themselves.

I have reservations about two part episodes as they come in two kinds - 1. all filler in the first part to set up for a rollercoaster second part or 2. a rollercoaster first part with a cliffhanging ending which leads to a big let down as it is quickly resolved in the second part. This was especially true in the Borg episodes of TNG to which the similarity is striking (I think the AIs working on the wall looked as much like Borg in a Cube as Metropolis.)

One possible outcome would be for the Krill to join the alliance.
You were right! o_O I never even considered that this would happen. But, other than anime, I mostly watch old movies on TCM.
Who'd a thought that Issac would betray his own kind? If they had simply deactivated him after garnering enough data, why reactivate him? He is tainted by his extended contact with the [shudder] biologicals {misused as a noun!}. Perhaps his very purpose and design made him unfit for any other purpose! Weak!

Here's a thought: They were so offended by their creators' abusing them, but then to merely deactivate Issac suggests that they used him with the same contempt as their creators had used them. :ROFLMAO: There is no room for individuality among the Kaylons, they are like ants. One large organism. Isaac would never fit-in; it seems he was not intended for that purpose. So, why expect him to take part in eradicating the biological sentient beings? :ROFLMAO:

So, now there is or was an alliance between the fleet guys and the Krill. An uneasy one, because only the Krill worship Avis, while all others are infidels. As far as that goes, it seems o.k.
O.k., so I am not rolling on the floor laughing, but this did not come across as a serious ending.

You called it.
I called both Isaac being their saviour AND the Krill joining forces.
You were right! I never even considered that this would happen. But, other than anime, I mostly watch old movies on TCM.
I've probably watched too much stuff like this. Maybe I should write it.

However, it wasn't exactly as I called it, because despite what the Kaylon's said last week about wanting to destroy all biological life because it was "inferior", that wasn't their reason at all. Clearly, their real reason was pure revenge. Revenge is not a logical reason. Hate is an emotion. If they can show hatred and revenge, then why can't Isaac also show sympathy and compassion. Clearly, they were not the superior lifeforms that they believed themselves to be. Instead, they are even more flawed than humans are.

It looked like the Primary Kaylon had the red eyes, while his secondaries were orange-eyed. Isaac's blue eyes may have served no purpose other than helping viewers identify him among the Kaylon troops. I noted that he had eye-matching weaponry.
Which surely shows that Isaac was not built any differently, despite his different purpose. The only difference was that he had not lived through the period when the Kaylon had served under their biological life-form masters, and so did not share their same level of hatred.
Just the right amount of humor from Gordon
The pee corner is looking better!

I thought Yaphet was a gonner! Glad he wasn't.
...unfortunate red shirt who was spaced.
...there were many redshirts killed last week too. So, the idea that he had to be killed as an example didn't make much sense. And I think Isaac should have remained switched off. He had enough sympathy to prevent Ty being killed, but absolutely none regarding the rest of the crew. He is a danger. If I was aboard then I would refuse to work with him, or ask for a transfer. I'd see Ed Mercer having an even further depleted crew.

So, now there is or was an alliance between the fleet guys and the Krill. An uneasy one, because only the Krill worship Avis, while all others are infidels. ...so I am not rolling on the floor laughing, but this did not come across as a serious ending.
It was messy, but so is real life. It was a start. I expected that with the Fleet crippled, the Krill would turn on Earth themselves and walk right in. They didn't do that. They went home. So, that is progress, I think.

From what I've been reading, both the fans and critics alike, now love this show. The previously 'haters' are now eating their own words. I have to say, I was very negative myself about some of the Season 1 comedy, but this kind of old fashioned science fiction approach, I have absolutely no problem with. I miss TV that was like this.

I can't find any spoilers about the second part, except what we see in this trailer. Some desperate 25th hour plan. I notice that as well as the red-eyed Kalons, and Isaac, with the blue-eyes, there are also some orange-eyed Kalon. The significance escapes me at the moment.

It might get a third season and maybe more.:cool:

It was messy, but so is real life. It was a start. I expected that with the Fleet crippled, the Krill would turn on Earth themselves and walk right in. They didn't do that. They went home. So, that is progress, I think.

Perhaps that move would not have served the will of Avis, the Krill god of rental vehicles.

Hmm. If they were all of the same design, as they seem to have a collective purpose, perhaps they also have a collective memory. Though it appears that not to be the case. I would have thought that they would have downloaded Isaac with that data, to prevent him from developing empathy.

So Isaac, sharing the older generation's design, but lacking their memory of the humiliating treatment by humans, was vulnerable to the weaknesses inherent to biological entities, where others of the same design were not. So, why did they use a newly built robot for such a purpose, and not download the memory of the shame into his noggin? :unsure: SCRIPT WRITERS!

I have noted robots developing human characteristics; the most recent, other than Isaac was the young honey terminator, Cameron Phillips. Sarah Conners was rather unhappy, to say the least, when she noted some of these behaviors. She was of the opinion that these were the exclusive domain of humans. what, i just checked my notes, and that was 7 years ago. i would have forgotten, if not for ROBOT CHICKEN.

I called both Isaac being their saviour AND the Krill joining forces.
I've probably watched too much stuff like this. Maybe I should write it.

However, it wasn't exactly as I called it, because despite what the Kaylon's said last week about wanting to destroy all biological life because it was "inferior", that wasn't their reason at all. Clearly, their real reason was pure revenge. Revenge is not a logical reason. Hate is an emotion. If they can show hatred and revenge, then why can't Isaac also show sympathy and compassion. Clearly, they were not the superior lifeforms that they believed themselves to be. Instead, they are even more flawed than humans are.

Which surely shows that Isaac was not built any differently, despite his different purpose. The only difference was that he had not lived through the period when the Kaylon had served under their biological life-form masters, and so did not share their same level of hatred.
In the 1st part, I thought their purpose was self-preservation. They thought that the living things would likewise eradicate them, for the same reason. Reminds me of a polysci class I had.