The Orville

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
Not half bad, got great buzz coming out of the upfronts. This trailer is funny. Might make me watch Fox again, but it will be very easy to mess this up and start making fun of sci-fi fans.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
That's a very long trailer, are there anymore jokes left that weren't spoiled in it?

It's just Galaxy Quest, but not as we know it, Cap'n. I rarely LOL at the TV, even at Family Guy, but those jokes were old. The Family Guy Star Wars spoof episodes were funnier.
It's not funny enough for a comedy and it's not serious enough to be a drama.

Culhwch

Lost Boy
Staff member
I might have smirked once or twice. Hopefully they're saving the best jokes. I'll give it a shot. If it lives up to the Galaxy Quest comparisons, then great. But I don't have too much hope of that...

BAYLOR

If the action adventure component of the show works then, that might be enough to sustain it.

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
The more Seth sells this show. The more I geek out about it. I am more excited about this show than star trek, just because of the optimistic tone. I really hope Fox is on-board with it. Seeing that they don't like to cancel anything by Seth, they just might let it go on forever:

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
I'm looking forward to giving this a good trial viewing.
Sci-fi needs a little more comedy and a little less dystopia. I hope this series turns out to be more dramedy than coma

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I remember Tim Allen expected a TV series of Galaxy Quest to appear at some point - I'm presuming this show is the compromise for that, not least seeing as Alan Rickman is no longer with us.

BAYLOR

I will watch it but
I might have smirked once or twice. Hopefully they're saving the best jokes. I'll give it a shot. If it lives up to the Galaxy Quest comparisons, then great. But I don't have too much hope of that...
The scene where he treaded on the amoeba lcrewman was too much like an unfunny Family Guy joke. IF that's what this show ends up being,Family up in Space ,then it's going to have a very short run.

BAYLOR

Saw the pilot. A bit rough some of the jokes fell flat but overall , it wasn't bad at all. :)

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
The pilot had this SciFi nerd grinning from ear to ear. Very well done. I was very impressed with the visuals, on par with the Expanse, if not brighter and better! Really appreciate all the effort Seth went to make this show look realistic. I couldn't come up with a better crew if I was making my own ST series. Good as a comedy show? No. Good as a Drama? No. Good as a dramedy? Oh hell yes! This is your less serious Star Trek, and perfect for all those who do not want to pay for STD.

Also Agents of Shield fans will recognize Adrianne Palicki AKA Bobbi Morse as XO/Seth's ex-wife. Having the MC and the Ex-Wife as Captain and XO is comedic genius!

Now for the fun stuff. A couple observations I made that are spoilers:

1. The year is perfect. 2415! Very far into the future. The first scene shows Seth in a driverless car pod!

2. They have a holodeck on board with friendly ogres!

3. The cast of the ship is way more diverse than Star Trek ever was.

4. No teleportation. Probably within good reason. So far they only use shuttles. Which might confuse Star Trek fans.

5. Time travel is not just theoretical! The time travel device featured in the pilot was really neat to see. I know from Family Guy Seth has always been a Time Travel nerd like me, so it was cool to see something new happen in the genre.

6. The Krill are the bad guys.

7. On board operations are a complete ripoff from Star Trek, down to the Red Alert battle-stations. They just have different less serious names.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter
I have mixed feelings, especially McFlarne reinforcing classical ST science fiction. My biggest problem was with the artificial gravity and the silliness involved with the alien fight. But I laughed at few jokes on positive side. However I wouldn't call it being bar the Expanse.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cli-Fi Star Trek 13