The more Seth sells this show. The more I geek out about it. I am more excited about this show than star trek, just because of the optimistic tone. I really hope Fox is on-board with it. Seeing that they don't like to cancel anything by Seth, they just might let it go on forever:
The pilot had this SciFi nerd grinning from ear to ear. Very well done. I was very impressed with the visuals, on par with the Expanse, if not brighter and better! Really appreciate all the effort Seth went to make this show look realistic. I couldn't come up with a better crew if I was making my own ST series. Good as a comedy show? No. Good as a Drama? No. Good as a dramedy? Oh hell yes! This is your less serious Star Trek, and perfect for all those who do not want to pay for STD.
Also Agents of Shield fans will recognize Adrianne Palicki AKA Bobbi Morse as XO/Seth's ex-wife. Having the MC and the Ex-Wife as Captain and XO is comedic genius!
Now for the fun stuff. A couple observations I made that are spoilers:
1. The year is perfect. 2415! Very far into the future. The first scene shows Seth in a driverless car pod!
2. They have a holodeck on board with friendly ogres!
3. The cast of the ship is way more diverse than Star Trek ever was.
4. No teleportation. Probably within good reason. So far they only use shuttles. Which might confuse Star Trek fans.
5. Time travel is not just theoretical! The time travel device featured in the pilot was really neat to see. I know from Family Guy Seth has always been a Time Travel nerd like me, so it was cool to see something new happen in the genre.
6. The Krill are the bad guys.
7. On board operations are a complete ripoff from Star Trek, down to the Red Alert battle-stations. They just have different less serious names.
I have mixed feelings, especially McFlarne reinforcing classical ST science fiction. My biggest problem was with the artificial gravity and the silliness involved with the alien fight. But I laughed at few jokes on positive side. However I wouldn't call it being bar the Expanse.