The Orville - Renewed for a Second Season/ Season One released on DVD

Hi,

You can have comedy in a drama without going to farce. I mean who doesn't like True Lies etc. It's funny as well as dramatic. But at no point does the comedy jump out at you and say - yeah this is all just a sham! The Orville's farce does.

Cheers, Greg.

We see if Seth has read the forum and taken heed of our criticism. Thing is, it's coming back and it makes me glad because it's still good entertainment. I don't take it too seriously, because The Orville isn't meant to be entertaining solely the hardcore SF fans boys and girls.

Here is him defending harsh criticism that fell on the egg episode.

The greatest divide for the show, however, has between critics and fans. The Orville’s first season has a 21% Tomatometer score, but a 93% Audience Score. MacFarlane recalled facing off against critics when the episode premiered.

“There was a lot of weird hostility about who do you think you are writing about this stuff?” MacFarlane said during the panel. “That’s what science fiction should do. The reaction from the fans was the opposite. They went, ‘Yeah, we’re game for any kind of story you want to tell us.’

“In this genre, there really should be nothing off limits,” he said. “Go all the way back to The Twilight Zone; there was nothing they wouldn’t talk about in their own way. I think the second you start closing off issues that are of the moment with regard to your storytelling, then you’re not doing your job.”
Seth MacFarlane Addresses Critics’ Harsh Take on The Orville Story Line << Rotten Tomatoes – Movie and TV News

I agree that with a lot of stuff The Orville producers has gone beyond the standards and norms of classical SF. In some cases Orville stuff is weirder than China Mieville's stories. But over all it has been easier to understand than the blue stuff in the Expanse or the spore drive in the ST Discovery.

Last edited:
“I think what you’re going to see in season 2 is a show that’s even more comfortable in its footing in terms of existing in that goldilocks zone,” he told the gathered crowd, via IndieWire. “Every episode feels like a movie, and I think you’re going to dig it.”

The tone of season 1 was also brought up, which he addressed with a packed room. “This show was a tonal experiment of sorts. Comedy and sci-fi when you blend them together, they don’t always mix well. In features they do, but television is kind of hard to sustain. The pleasant surprise for me was that fans and viewers were willing to let us tell a story. They weren’t waiting for the next joke to come.”

“Initially, I think the show was a little misrepresented. It was marketed as a comedy… I’m not sure why. Maybe there was a worry this was so new and weird and different it wouldn’t land,” he mused, before adding "The show was always intended to be what it is now."
The Orville season 2: "every episode feels like a movie"

Dave they listened your worries!

kwhyvoooiwkyi0afsfns.jpg

Exactly! it's not this...

Certainly not. I think it was Seth's slogan, because he couldn't help himself on setting on in the poster. But, that old school Universal Films poster is super cool. I cannot remember ever seeing it.

WHAT THE FOX?!

Political reasons. They're betting that this won't be picked outside the geek circles, but I bet there are huge market for the Orville in the Asian market, where BR isn't widely adapted. The next season with it's feature long double episodes is going to even more important to get at HD format. So Fox might be betting you'll have an AMZ Prime account and access to the Prime TV to get HD content instead of fiddling with the disks.

Political reasons. They're betting that this won't be picked outside the geek circles, but I bet there are huge market for the Orville in the Asian market, where BR isn't widely adapted. The next season with it's feature long double episodes is going to even more important to get at HD format. So Fox might be betting you'll have an AMZ Prime account and access to the Prime TV to get HD content instead of fiddling with the disks.
Withholding HD versions of past seasons to drive fans to streaming services would be a dastardly development, which I hope will fail.
I nearly fell for that ploy when CBS launched All-Access and tempted me with Star Trek: Discovery. Having recently purchased the season on Blu-ray, I am looking forward to binge-watching the episodes for about half the cost of a year of CBS All-Access.

Reactions: ctg
I don't care what Seth MacFarlane says this show is a riggered Galaxy Quest.
I watched episodes of the first season and thought it was well enough done, but it does not pull me in, mainly because of the Star Trek aping. Galaxy Quest did that better.
I don't understand the popularity of this show it is way too derivative.