The Orville - Renewed for a Second Season/ Season One released on DVD

Renewed for a second season :)

Yeah and the length is still open. Fox might commission more than 13 episodes of classical SF. There are a lot people out there who want easily understandable drama. So the hard science flies out from the window and we escapism in utopistic future rather being plunged into the darkness.

Not surprising considering Fox's relationship with the captain of the ship. I wonder what The Orville finale will look like. Will they end it on a cliff-hanger to keep people coming back for more? Society has such short attention spans, I expect a 50% ratings drop next year. No matter what.

Two alternate viewpoints:
Yeah and the length is still open. Fox might commission more than 13 episodes of classical SF. There are a lot people out there who want easily understandable drama. So the hard science flies out from the window and we escapism in utopistic future rather being plunged into the darkness.
Being that I can't find any clue as to how many episodes will be in The Orville's first season. I highly doubt it's long term success. Though ratings have been steady, I cannot maintain my disbelief for 22 episodes for multiple seasons like this...

Is the length still open? That article said 13 episodes. It also says that the long time needed for post production special effects means they will get a head start on next season. So, making extra episodes this season seems very unlikely.

As I already said, I have room for this among the TV that I watch, even with all its faults, although it is very lightweight.
I wonder what The Orville finale will look like. Will they end it on a cliff-hanger to keep people coming back for more? Society has such short attention spans, I expect a 50% ratings drop next year. No matter what.

What you say about second seasons is probably true. I haven't seen any figures but it would make sense. On the other hand, given the higher than expected audiences, maybe they will increase the budget and number of episodes?

A cliffhanger would be likely now they have confirmation.

The story is a mix between a DS9 episode, Meridian, where a planet existed between dimensions and periodically shifted in and out of those dimensions; a DS9 episode, Children of Time, where they meet their own descendants on a planet; and VOY episode, Blink of an Eye where over generations, a world tries to uncover the mystery of the strange ship in the sky.

See, having seen all of those episodes previously, i wasn't that impressed with the result. 20 years later, they could have gone and done something different with it, instead Seth shoves in a few dated references and his tried and tested "religion makes you evil" diatribe.

I'll of course watch the second season when it comes out.

At that point in this thread we were still playing a game of which Star Trek episode Seth can rip-off this week. I never said it was an impressive re-imagining by him. I think the show found its feet a little later, and although it was still a little hit and miss, I'll be watching again. However, I still think it needs to decide what is is - either it is an Airplane or Mel Brooks style Star Trek spoof, or it is a more serious spaceship based drama with some jokes like similar hospital based dramas. The question of whether a final episode was pulled or not, and if so then why, is not answered either. Seth's material is always love it or hate it, and TV studios don't like to take many chances.

orville_ver2_xxlg-616x952.jpg

After not-so-surprise hit The Orville wrapped up its first season earlier this year, we’ve been eagerly anticipating Season 2, which is set to touch down on FOX on 30 December in the US.

Even though we’re almost half a year away from its return, the show brings some news.

Firstly, the cast is getting even bigger for Season 2, with EW reporting that Gossip Girl star Leighton Meester has taken a mystery guest role. She joins Jessica Szohr, also of Gossip Girl fame, who is becoming a series regular and playing a new member of the crew onboard the Orville.
The Orville Season 2 gets new stars and a new poster

Will this new character come in a silver jumpsuit in order to attract more 18–35 male audience members,:p and to provide a third-person view on the human condition?

I'm glad the show is returning.

At that point in this thread we were still playing a game of which Star Trek episode Seth can rip-off this week. I never said it was an impressive re-imagining by him. I think the show found its feet a little later, and although it was still a little hit and miss, I'll be watching again. However, I still think it needs to decide what is is - either it is an Airplane or Mel Brooks style Star Trek spoof, or it is a more serious spaceship based drama with some jokes like similar hospital based dramas. The question of whether a final episode was pulled or not, and if so then why, is not answered either. Seth's material is always love it or hate it, and TV studios don't like to take many chances.

Season one was successful, but in order for for them to continue being successful, they need to completely ditch the unfunny comedy bits and go the there serious route and just tell good stories. If they do that, then this show will have a very long and successful run and will give Disney/Fox a successful science fiction franchise.

Ditch the comedy completely? I can't see that happening. This is Seth MacFarlane. I don't think he does "serious routes."

The jokes and humor are just not funny, I haven't laugh at any of them I do like Captain Ed Mercer and when he plays him seriously , Macfarlane is very good.

Do you watch Family Guy? I find that is exactly the same. When he does allegorical stories making fun of real world events with the characters, or parodies of other TV and film, he can be very funny. The Star Wars parodies are brilliant. When he just has all characters be sick, or the toilet humour, or all the giggity-giggity-giggity, it can get very tiresome, very quickly. He also doesn't appear to have a comedy quality filter - I mean that he just throws everything into the mix and hopes that if 5/10 gags work then that is good enough. Personally, I'd much rather just keep the 5 best and skip the rest.

So, really, it isn't surprising that this is the same. I can't see him changing anything actually.

Do you watch Family Guy? I find that is exactly the same. When he does allegorical stories making fun of real world events with the characters, or parodies of other TV and film, he can be very funny. The Star Wars parodies are brilliant. When he just has all characters be sick, or the toilet humour, or all the giggity-giggity-giggity, it can get very tiresome, very quickly. He also doesn't appear to have a comedy quality filter - I mean that he just throws everything into the mix and hopes that if 5/10 gags work then that is good enough. Personally, I'd much rather just keep the 5 best and skip the rest.

So, really, it isn't surprising that this is the same. I can't see him changing anything actually.

I hate Guy Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show with a passion .

Hi,

It's not the comedy per see that I hate. It's the farce. The stuff that just doesn't belong. I mean take the very first show. Bad situation. The ship's under attack. They need to buy time. And the first officer comes up with a brilliant piloting move. It could have been good. But no. Instead we have to have some stupid Benny Hill fast silly walks scene instead of tension and near misses. I mean what the Hey!

Look I don't mind farce. As a film I quite liked star wars etc. And the star wars family guy parody was quite funny too. But don't bloody mix them up!

Cheers, Greg.

The blend of comedy and drama is what makes the show special. Maybe the comedy could be turned down a little and assigned to some characters more than others, but not eliminated.

Blasphemy, sir! Have you no sense of satire? :p

I truly despise Peter Griffin. The one reason I might watch the show is just to see Peter suffer much deserved misfortunes and calamities . :)