(Found) Remember an obese gastronome genius living on moon?

Dr. Gadget

I am vaguely remembering two books from 80's, may be 90's. A pivotal, but not a main, character was an obese (400 lbs?) gastronome - I say gastronome because he cooked larger, elaborate meals for himself. He lived on the moon or at least in low gravity because he was too obese and unfit for normal gravity. He worked from his residence. His job was to create time-tables (for public transportation?). It was also implied he was a genius because a visitor to his home commented there were no time-tables in his home. Collector of technology. Had a small part in the first book and a greater role in the second. Thanks!

Possibly Rustum Battachariya (Megachirops) from Charles Sheffield's "Cold as Ice"? Lives on Ganymede, a moon of Jupiter, and is (will be?) a big man in the Puzzle Network.

Could it be Waldo; the book is "Waldo" and "Magic Incorporated" by Robert Heinlein. He lived in a satellite orbiting the Earth. I don't remember the gastronome part, but he was a large man... I believe he suffered from Myasthenia Gravis.

chrispenycafe -you hit the nail on the head. Now that you mention Charles Sheffield's "Cold as Ice", I remember that I have read it. Goodreads says the sequel is "The Ganymede Club" then "Dark as Day".

PaulMmn - thanks for the suggestion. That character is similar to my description, but not who I was looking for right now.

Back