(Found) A book of which I can only remember the cover and bit of the story concept.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
It was a science fiction novel, Based the cover art style , probably written late 1970's to early 1980s. On the cover, picture of human female explorer on swamplike/tropical vista . He space jumpsuit is ripped open at the bottom lower half of her body is mutating into something resembling the creature from the black lagoon type humanoid. I Have no idea who the author is not the title , but the concept had to do with aline being assimilating all lifeforms into some new and terrible unity.

Does this one strike a bell of recognition with anyone ?

It was a science fiction novel, Based the cover art style , probably written late 1970's to early 1980s. On the cover, picture of human female explorer on swamplike/tropical vista . He space jumpsuit is ripped open at the bottom lower half of her body is mutating into something resembling the creature from the black lagoon type humanoid. I Have no idea who the author is not the title , but the concept had to do with aline being assimilating all lifeforms into some new and terrible unity.

Give it approx 12 years and we'll revive this one pal :ROFLMAO:

AHHHHH !!!!! An Edward Bulwer Lytton quote ! No more ! No more ! It burns ! :eek:
"Yes, my preciousssss!"

I've always wondered that everyone calls 'The Lytton Quote' a lousy opening line. I can only assume that the story that goes with the line was so terrible that the opening line has been contaminated.

I know how you feel. I have some that I only have a cover or a wisp of memory about, but I figure they don't have a hydrogen snowball's chance in a supernova.
When I was a tyke my favorite monster model (remember those, Baby Boomers?) was the Black Lagoon creature, and my mother saw a hardcover book whose dust jacket featured a swimming fishman...like TCFTBL but without the neck "capes". The picture was "underwater".
Anyone?

"Yes, my preciousssss!"

I've always wondered that everyone calls 'The Lytton Quote' a lousy opening line. I can only assume that the story that goes with the line was so terrible that the opening line has been contaminated.

The legend makes more sense when you see the entire sentence:

"It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents—except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.

Any idea who the cover artist might have been? Or book publisher that might have had a distinct look to it like DAW or Pocket Books with their Timescape logo?

Last edited:
And thanks to the link to terrible book cover art I have found my Black Lagoon Creature book!

Also saved me from asking to find the book series by Lee Killough.

Back