Discussion Thread -- August 2018 75-word Writing Challenge

Thank you, Shyrka.

Sometimes I miss doing the reviewing, it's been a while for me.

I had a couple of months off and definitely felt less connected to the community here. It also means I have to read every entry -before- it's time to vote, which helps when I'm short of time!

Hugh -- The author created an apt, mythic metaphor for the creative process. -- Parabola

Shyrka -- This hard-hitting story revealed the darker side of a popular pastime. -- Sports Illustrated

RJM Corbet -- This ironic meditation on the nature of art raised questions about
the collaboration between artist and audience. -- ARTnews

Onyx -- Highly advanced scientific concepts created a sense of wonder for the reader. -- New Scientist

Plucky Novice -- This tale of conflict offered a great deal of suspense and tension. -- Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine

Hugh -- The author created an apt, mythic metaphor for the creative process. -- Parabola

Shyrka -- This hard-hitting story revealed the darker side of a popular pastime. -- Sports Illustrated

RJM Corbet -- This ironic meditation on the nature of art raised questions about
the collaboration between artist and audience. -- ARTnews

Onyx -- Highly advanced scientific concepts created a sense of wonder for the reader. -- New Scientist

Plucky Novice -- This tale of conflict offered a great deal of suspense and tension. -- Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine

Thank you, Victoria :)

Phew... that was tough.
Had to cut down 100+ words, and I’m not sure it helped the story in quite a few cases, but I’m in:eek: I’ve kept the longer version so I can go back at a later time:p

I'm in, and with a few hours to spare. No idea where this one came from, but I'm hoping to get The Church Times from Victoria!

@Onyx .... A Cosmos Within .... Onyx gives us a a book parable which teaches us that in some sense in every book there are depths to be plumbed and insights to be gained by reading in depth.

@Plucky Novice .... Inimical Odds .... The Novice reminds us that there are books to read and books of daring do.

@Perpetual Man .... The Book of Always .... Perp brings us to a book which has the mother of all cliff hangers. Will Father turn the page forward or back?

@LittleStar .... The End? .... Star shows us who is the boss in a sentence, and how the boss makes a decision.

@The Judge .... Forged Anew at the Pearly Gates .... Her Honor points an accusatory finger at the policies of the court of last appeals.

@Ursa major .... Agatha Christie! What Have You Done? .... Ursa gives us a new worry about ebooks and artificial intelligence.

@TheDustyZebra .... But Thinking Makes It So .... DZ writes a story that leaves us and the protagonist with a dilemma which has all good choices but no satisfying ones. Everyone therefore dithers for ages leading me to wonder if the "genie" is in fact the Grim Reaper.

Last edited:
Perpetual Man -- This allegorical musing made the reader ponder the nature of chronology. -- Time

LittleStar -- Through the use of anthropomorphic characters, the author examined how the people struggle in unity under forces of oppression. -- The Daily Worker

The Judge -- This witty theological fable pointed out how humanity is never free of sin, even in the face of Providence. -- The Church Times

Ursa major -- The power of the written word, for good or evil, came across strongly in this imaginative extrapolation. -- Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine

TheDustyZebra -- A classic fantasy theme was used to demonstrate the common human failing of indecision in this thoughtful parable. -- The Writer

Short List

D. A. Xiaolin Spires -- For its haunting portrait of surrealism.

Justin Swanton -- For its clever use of irony.

Parson -- For its tragic sense of loss.

M. Robert Gibson -- For its amusing revision of history.

RJM Corbet -- For its plight of the creative mind.

Onyx -- For its evocative reminders of Jorge Luis Borges

The Judge -- For its witty depiction of human foibles.

VOTE

Glen -- For having the greatest emotional impact.

I voted for The Judge. I got a little confused, but it seemed like a great idea while the nice man was talking. Also, have you seen my wallet?

My not-so-short list contained (in order of appearance):
Victoria Silverwolf
Brian G Turner
dannymcg
Cathbad
Cat's Cradle
Graymalkin
johnnyjet
Ursa major
TheDustyZebra

It was a toss-up for me, between Ursa and TDZ. But mentioning my favorite mystery author was the tie-breaker! :D
Many thanks for the vote, Cathbad. :):)

Although my working title didn't mention anyone's name, it seems inevitable that, given the story I was trying to tell, I would alight upon Miss Christie's name. It ticked so many boxes: a real person who is very widely known, as is her output, a person who had, in fiction, killed so many people in so many places and in so many ways. I'm pleased that this inevitability struck me before I posted the story and thus helped me garner your vote.

Back