Discussion Thread -- April 2018 75-word Writing Challenge

Luiglin

by day Stuart Orford by night Dark Lord's scribe
Open genre eh? I feel a Shakespearean sonnet as written by Roger Hargreaves - the Mr Men books were very special to me in my formative years - coming on.

Last edited:

Joshua Jones

"Open" means that "In the style of Kipling" is allowed, doesn't it...?

Or even "Tudorpunk in the style of Kipling". :confused:
Tudorpunk in the style of Kipling... Someone seriously needs to do this so I can visualize it when a particularly nefarious individual decides to make this the challenge theme.

Joshua Jones

This has to be the earliest I have entered a challenge, and I may have tipped my hat to my theology a bit, but the idea stuck with me. Hope everyone likes it!

Sorry it isn't Tudorpunk in the style of Kipling...

Luiglin

I have one idea but no matter how I work it the result is awful... and I'm not talking about my usual attempts at humour either.

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
@Culhwch .... Best Kept Secret .... Culhwch reminds us that sometimes even a lover's secret identity is better not know for your own sake.

@Joshua Jones .... What's in a Name? .... J. Jones reminds us that the hard of hearing and change the world in a second.

dannymcg

Joshua Jones!!!

I was going to do a Biblical one as well :(

Mary Magdalene refusing to acknowledge risen Jesus even after 'the gardener' identified himself to her.

Maybe I'll try a fairy tale instead :)

Joshua Jones

Joshua Jones!!!

I was going to do a Biblical one as well :(

Mary Magdalene refusing to acknowledge risen Jesus even after 'the gardener' identified himself to her.

Maybe I'll try a fairy tale instead :)
Yeah, I am with @Parson on this one. Between Mary Magdalene, a handful of angels being mistaken for people, Peter not being recognized when he came out of prison... There are quite a few options for Biblical stories.

Wait, shoot, you will take my votes! No, don't do Biblical! :)

Abernovo

Supporter
"Open" means that "In the style of Kipling" is allowed, doesn't it...?

Or even "Tudorpunk in the style of Kipling". :confused:
Oh, good grief, no! As someone who grew up with way too many Celtic fairy tales (and a little history), I can imagine it now:

Llywelyn map Aneirin ap Cerddwr Awyr lifted the light sword. "With this, I could be a knight. Perhaps even a king. Might have to anglicise my name of course."

"Well," said Berwyn, "your sister Llinos is a princess."

"I have a sister?"

Calliopenjo

And I thought I had my work cut out for me between my 300 word story, my flash fiction that's continually in progress, and now this one. I don't suppose anyone has an extra head I could borrow? Yes? Maybe? :ninja:

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
You can do it, Calliopenjo! Identity is a great choice, TDZ, and I love 'Open', for genre. We should see such diverse ideas, this month. And - I am in! Now for the 300...

Luiglin

Writing a Mr Men story in a Shakespeare style or writing Shakespeare in a Mr Men style is more difficult than you may think.

And that's not including adding in the theme.