Searching for a book 1970s about sentient dog-like creatures

Eric Cline

I recall in high school reading a great book or series of books that started with a human somehow becoming the alpha male in a group of sentient/telepathic dogs on some other planet.

I have searched and searched but cannot find this title - can anyone help?

THANK YOU
Eric Jason Cline

The problem is the A Fire Upon the Deep was published in 1992. The book I read about the guy that found himself on some planet in a section full of sentient telepathic dog-like creatures that he ended up becoming the leader of, was something I read in circa 1979.

Question... was he actually human himself?
Faint memories of a 'manlike' Hunter who tames a wild pack - couple of books in a series

The problem is the A Fire Upon the Deep was published in 1992. The book I read about the guy that found himself on some planet in a section full of sentient telepathic dog-like creatures that he ended up becoming the leader of, was something I read in circa 1979.

Sorry didn't notice the "70s" in thread title. Too eager.

There were near-sentient dogs in The Shockwave Rider, a science fiction novel by John Brunner, originally published in 1975. Our Hero was not a dog, but did have a leadership role, including some of the dogs...

Oh my gosh !!! - THANK YOU ALEX and PAULMMN
I recognize the titles, and while it may be Shockwave Rider, I recall the title The Book of Skaith more - I am so happy now to look forward into both these novels and see which one it was. THANK YOU again !!!

As an related aside - there was, as I recall it, a Hugo or Nebula Winner for short story as I recall that was a truly amazing read and I am hoping somebody can help me identify this other book too - I promise I have no other inquiries. This short story was also possibly just in a collection of stories and NOT a Hugo/Nebula winner so I could be mistaken about that.

This second story, as I recall, is set entirely in some congresswomen's/senator's office wherein a man was arguing for changes in copyright and patent law. It was also a 1970s story and the setting is sometime a few hundred years in the future, definitely the USA.

Its a fascinating read because it is easy to extrapolate this story as actually happening reasonably soon. The protagonist is trying to get congress or the senate, or whatever it's equivalent was in the USA some hundreds of years in the future, to change the law because, as he argued, EVERYTHING HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE/CREATED.

I know it does not make much logical sense in my retelling what I recall - after all I personally have 6 patents and I know that they expire (e.g. the generic pharmaceuticals) in like 20 years and such. But nonetheless, the protagonist was essentially trying to argue in this short story that creative people needed the ability to basically "re-invent" things that have already been invented over the prior two thousand years.

I'm almost positive that my first inquiry was answered correctly and so I am hoping that someone might recall this particular story. In some ways the setting itself is so unique (just two people talking in an office) that I am hoping that can help IID this story.

In some ways it reminds me the wonderful film My Dinner with Andre. I recall being deeply moved by this story so if anyone can remember I will build a shrine in your name :)

Thanks again - I just joined this sffchronicles.com site and I already love everything about it - if only I can now get my Stargate working, haha.

Hi Eric Cline! Sorry, I do not know the answer to this new request, but please feel free to ask for as many long-lost titles as you like. I know our book sleuths love tracking down a mystery, but also, a lot of us are interested - once a book/story title is revealed - in looking up these titles ourselves, to read. This new one sounds very interesting. I'm sure someone will be by soon to help. :) CC

I've got and read two of the Skaith novels, but by golly I wouldn't have got the answer from the opening post! (I found the books fast paced and pulpy -- very much of their time -- but an easy quick read.)

The arguing-about-patents story rings a very very vague bell but no names, sorry. Just to add to Cat's Cradle's post, though, feel free to ask as many Book Search questions as you like. Putting each one into a separate thread is usually best, as it helps us to find them again if we need to, but no worries if you forget. Anyway, Welcome to Chrons -- and while you're here have a look round at our other forums, particularly General Book Discussion and join in the fun!

EDIT: Eric subsequently opened a second thread specifically for the arguing-about-patents story, and the answer was found -- Melancholy Elephants by Spider Robinson Short Story, 1970s, probably Nebula/Hugo award about CHANGING COPYRIGHT LAW

Last edited:
The arguing about patents/copyrights rings bells with me as well-- something about arguing that a 'new' song, that happens to be the same melody as an 'old' song is not a violation of copyright... mainly because there are only so many combinations of notes that can make up a melody, and duplication is probable.

This second story, as I recall, is set entirely in some congresswomen's/senator's office wherein a man was arguing for changes in copyright and patent law. It was also a 1970s story and the setting is sometime a few hundred years in the future, definitely the USA.

I'm fairly sure this has been asked before and is 'somewhere' in book search forum. Can't remember if it was ever answered :)

In other news from Skaith, California.

An odd coincidence from this week's local rag:
Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 8.37.49 PM.png