Old Tech thread

M. Robert Gibson

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Supporter

pyan

Great Old One
Staff member
Supporter
The Atom's Power for Peace: Diagrammatic drawings of a locomotive train, a power house and an ocean liner.

View attachment 52964
There was a nuclear powered passenger/ cargo ship built: the NS (Nuclear Ship) Savannah, back in the late Fifties. She was decommissioned in 1971, and is now a museum ship in Baltimore.

NS Savannah Virtual Tour

psikeyhackr

Physics is Phutile, Fiziks is Fundamental
There was a nuclear powered passenger/ cargo ship built: the NS (Nuclear Ship) Savannah, back in the late Fifties. She was decommissioned in 1971, and is now a museum ship in Baltimore.

NS Savannah Virtual Tour
I wonder if a nuclear ship with a Thorium molten salt design would make more sense.

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
It's surprising how so many people 40 and under have no idea what these amazing pieces of technology are:

@ctg ; I think I found your grand-dad

K2
Anyone who has every played guitar in a semi-serious way lusts after the warm overdriven tones of a tube amp.

and my grandparents had one of these (well similar):

The sound was astounding.

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
Anyone who has every played guitar in a semi-serious way lusts after the warm overdriven tones of a tube amp.

Yep all guitarists really want the warm sound of 'tube amplifiers and the smoothness of analogue effects pedals. Probably. If they can afford it. (In their defence Digital racks of effects are pretty cheap and do tons of stuff.)

At least I do.

Phyrebrat

ba-Ba-ba-brat
Supporter

As a vocalist, I used an AKG Solidtube or RODE NT1 with one of these babies Joemeek VC1Q. Long live Joemeek!

vc1q.jpeg

pH

M. Robert Gibson

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Supporter

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
I think this technology will baffle today's children more
And the thing was, when you actually didn't know someone's number it was usually in a directory that you weren't given.

I'm not sure that "baffled" is the right word either. When my kids first saw an old telephone with a dial, they weren't sure about how to use the dial, but a keyboard is still a keyboard, and a camera is still a camera.

MaxiPower

Life before the internet was awesome... but that feeling once you first got the internet was even better. Id love to experience it again. Where the possibilities are endless. Now its taken for granted.