Discussion -- January 2018 -- 75 Word Challenge

@Old_Man_Steve2016 .... The Checklist .... This tale reminds us that even in the Apocalypse the little things men a lot.

@Shyrka .... A Spoonful of Sugar ....
Even in the Apocalypse a father wants to save his children.

@paranoid marvin .... Homeward Bound .... Reminds us that home isn't a place it's the family relationships.

Well I have at least entered after thinking I really would have nothing (which would be pretty bad form having set the theme!)

Now I had better get on with some work :whistle:

I'm afraid we've had to remove an entry for being over 75 words, which we never like doing. Please be careful with hyphens. As a very rough rule of thumb, if a phrase is usually hyphenated in normal use, it will count as one word; if it isn't, it won't. Always, if you're in any doubt, best to ask me or another moderator before posting.

@Peter V .... In Search of El Dorado .... In a post-apocalyptic world El Dorado becomes much more tangible, much more attainable, and much more valuable.

Took a while, but I finally got the kernel of an idea yesterday and managed to spread enough compost over it to get it to grow, but compared to the other entries it's a rather etiolated specimen of a seedling, and I'm not holding out any hope that it will bear productive fruit. (I so love an extended metaphor! :D)

Took a while, but I finally got the kernel of an idea yesterday and managed to spread enough compost over it to get it to grow, but compared to the other entries it's a rather etiolated specimen of a seedling, and I'm not holding out any hope that it will bear productive fruit. (I so love an extended metaphor! :D)

Well I haven't really read the other entries yet (I tend to wait to read them in one go as I find it fairer), but I noticed yours when posting mine and am now insanely jealous I didn't think of that idea myself.

Also, full credit for squeezing that metaphor to the pips.

I've really enjoyed reading through the entries in the challenge thread. Each story being excellent and all are varied.
There's a short list (it was difficult!) so will re-read them and look forward to voting.
I enjoyed it that much it even inspired me to post a story. Completely out of character.

By the way, is there any advice on how best to approach shortlisting? Is there a function or tool on the forum for this?

Nope, that tool is only in your head. :D

Welcome to Chrons and the Challenges! If you're feeling particularly inspired after entering this one, the 300 still has a week to go.

@Azzagorn .... Tree, Tree, Stone .... a story whose emotional content lies in its very simplicity.

@The Judge .... Johnny Appleseed #2 .... a story which shows hope is truly seen in actions not words or feelings.

Also .... I may just accuse you of being overly fruity today with that extended metaphor related to that tale.

@TheDustyZebra .... Are we there yet? ....
a tale which takes a time tested truth and infuses it with a sad frustration.

[EDIT] I take it we are in the final dash to the finish of 75 words stories. While I reviewed the previous 3, not 1 but 2 more appeared.

@HITECH_lowlife .... SAVIOUR: .... A glimpse inside the actions and the motivations of the last "Saviour."

Welcome to the challenge! A solid story to begin with. And you are right, choosing stories for the short list, and especially voting, are very difficult indeed.

@The Big Peat .... A Lonely Duty .... Helps us feel the pathos of the last walk of humanity.

Last edited:
managed to get something in - a bit lasty minuty for me but have just been spat out the back end of a nice cluster migraine that made me pretty useless for the last week or so.

now I get to read through all the, undoubtedly excellent, entries.

@Ursa major .... Keep Right On to the End of the Rowed .... Tells of the tyrannical coxswain with the perfect sense of direction at the end of the world. (and perhaps above it too?)

@Mr Orange .... Left Foot, Right Foot ....
Is the cadence call of the doomed.

@Mad Alice .... Hellequin's Ryde .... a dark fantasy comes at the end of the world.

@AlexH .... The Path to the End of the World .... Going to the end of the world means following the calling and the constraints of the Path.

Nice month gang. There's a lot of variety out there.

Back