DISCUSSION -- October 2017 300-Word Writing Challenge (#27)

D.A. Xiaolin Spires -- A strong sense of future shock is created in this story by propelling the reader directly into a tomorrow which only superficially resembles today. By showing us technology different from anything we know through the eyes of one who is used to it, the author offers the reader a true sense of wonder.

TitaniumTi -- The unusual structure of this story parallels the sensations of its protagonist, allowing the reader to share fully in the experience. The sudden jumps from scene to scene perfectly capture the feeling of the plot, bringing one deep into the narrative.

Phyrebrat -- The power of the imagination is demonstrated in this realistic psychological fantasy. Through the use of great verisimilitude the story allows the reader to share the experience of the narrator, to which almost all of us can relate.

Bag Lady, @Phyrebrat - In youth our imaginations are so strong - and alive! Perhaps too real? As time goes on, our imaginings grow less and less real - to us, and themselves. But what happens to those things we gave life to through our youthful imaginings? Sometimes, you know, they stick around...

In a Bakery, Far, Far, Away, @Starbeast - Is this fan fiction... or just jocularity? Anyway... it just goes to show that friends, enemies and frenemies can all come together in peace, over some baked goods and good coffee!

I'm in. The muse struck me this morning. I couldn't sleep early this morning, all I did was think of the story, feverishly.

@Cathbad - Thanks for the instant review bro. I had to re-edit.

Well, I've given it a go. Haven't really written much flash fiction in the past so this was an interesting exercise.

Here's a quick word on some of the ones I have read.

Grandmother's Garden - A touching little piece, I like the emotion on display.

Lost Then Found - There is some really good horrific description. I loved the nursery rhymes and the description of how the ghost thing warps reality, with everything bending away from her.

The Small - I remember being that little kid at Warhammer tournements. Although I can't remember ever being bullied at one. Descriptions at the start were very good and the whole piece serves as a good introduction to the characters.

Accusation - I found the story here intriguing, especially the set up of someone getting help from a mysterious other being for their school work.

What Next - Great set up, seeming to borrow heavily from a lot of ghost story lore which I absolutely love.

Mary's Boy Child - a nice, heart breaking little look into this person's life.

I'll Be Sittin' When The Evenin' Come - This may be my favourite so far, a very peaceful ghost story.

I Came For You - This has a great finishing line and it does give us a good idea of what has happened leading up to this.

Last edited:
Nice story, SPoots! Welcome to the 300 worder.

Thanks for the review. :) CC

Last edited:
Changeling, @SPoots - The moral is: If you meet a mimic - run! A horrifying experience for a little girl, ending with a frightening conclusion!

DelActivisto -- This realistic story begins as a chilling horror story, but by the end it is clear that the author has more in mind than just scaring the reader. By showing the way in which an awareness of death can heighten the experience of life, we are reminded of the ancient principles of memento mori and carpe diem.

Starbeast -- This rollicking comedy casts a jaundiced eye at figures from pop culture. By re-imagining them in mundane situations, the reader is warned not to take larger-than-life characters too seriously.

SPoots -- In this quiet and gentle fantasy we experience the feelings of the protagonist as if they were our own. The nearly universal sensation that we belong somewhere else is aptly conveyed through the use of a magical theme.

Joshua Jones -- This eerie tale of crime and punishment sends chills up the reader's spine while raising important questions about whether the ends can justify the means. Whether in a desperate effort to save someone else, or as a matter of our own survival, when are evil actions made necessary?

The Demon of Whitecastle, @Joshua Jones - You'd be surprised who might be ringing your doorbell. There are more than one monster lurking outside your home... even if you have one inside.

The Rogue of Roses and The Goddess, @Vaz - A wonderful, eclectic story of Love, Beauty... and Honour. Under the soft light of the moon, and the cover of shadow, a poetic thief enjoys his nightly excursions... with the help of his gaoler.

Reactions: Vaz

Back