Star Trek - Discovery - 1.01: The Vulcan Hello

I liked it. It doesn't bother me that it doesn't fit with the so called, "canon". Never been one to obsess about that sort of thing. Folks can get too hung up on the details and miss the fun of just watching, (or reading) a story.

And yes, on Nextflix in the UK, and watching it on my Ultra HD TV was great.

I was quite impressed with th epilogue. Great visuals, pretty good story that was well executed, great costumes and I did quite like the characters (although I did find the Captain a little stuffy).

The ship looked good and was well rendered.

Looking forward to seeing the next episode tomorrow.

loved it so far. confused by the Klingons looking more like modern ones than classic Trek, given its a canon point that something happened to change their appearance during Kirk's chronological time in Stafleet but they were pretty awesome, liked what appeared to be the introduction of different Klingon races, makes sense, after all, humans can look wildly different.

It doesn't matter the tech looks more advanced, Star Wars is exactly the same - all the shows that came before were limited not just by what effects were possible, and their cost but by the prevalent tv show production techniques and styles of the time they are made, and of course, by the imagination of the authors.

I was very confused by that Admiral's racism line to Michael - surely by the time Discovery is set, racism amongst Humans, esp about skin colour is supposed to be long, long gone, long enough for it to not even occur to a human that the other human they are speaking too is a different colour.?

Its interesting that Michael has barely even noticed she has killed several beings, whilst everyone else was freaking out "we are explorers, not warriors"

I was very confused by that Admiral's racism line to Michael - surely by the time Discovery is set, racism amongst Humans, esp about skin colour is supposed to be long, long gone, long enough for it to not even occur to a human that the other human they are speaking too is a different colour.?

Agreed, but the reference to probable racism among the Klingons made perfect sense, to me.

Agreed, but the reference to probable racism among the Klingons made perfect sense, to me.

Michael is causing a lot of talk on the internets, given she is physically an extremely attractive young lady, but uses the male name/spelling Michael. In the flashbacks to being a child on Vulcan she looks to appear to be female in physical appearance, so is it just a strange name, or is she Trans-gendered.

Michael is causing a lot of talk on the internets, given she is physically an extremely attractive young lady, but uses the male name/spelling Michael. In the flashbacks to being a child on Vulcan she looks to appear to be female in physical appearance, so is it just a strange name, or is she Trans-gendered.
I was going to ask this myself. I had assumed it was a US American naming thing. In the UK, she would be a Michelle or Michaela. The alternative reason is that it is something to do with her Vulcan upbringing. If so, I expect that this is going to be addressed within the story narrative at some point at a later date.

I think I read somewhere that Fuller likes to give female characters traditionally male names and that he named the character before he left the show.

I watched a French movie not long ago, where the female lead had a name pronounced 'Michel' ('k' sound on the ch, soft vowel sound on the i). Perhaps it is a variation/corruption/evolution of this French name, and nothing more?

I think I read somewhere that Fuller likes to give female characters traditionally male names and that he named the character before he left the show.
There is something in this. When I read it I thought you meant Star Trek: Voyager, and couldn't remember an instance in that, but after some research:
George = Dead Like Me
Jaye = Wonderfalls
Chuck = Pushing Daisies
Freddie = Hannibal

Last edited:
Well to be honest he didn't give a female character a male name in Hannibal, he took an existing male character and had an actress play the role.

Here is what they gave as explanation for Michael's name:

The first is naming the character played by Sonequa Martin-Green, Michael Burnham. “It’s a motif,” producer Aaron Harberts said. “It’s his signature move to name his lead women with names that would typically be associated as male. So Jaye [on Wonderfalls, Chuck on Pushing Daisies]. We were going through male names, and we all sort of hit on Michael because I have only known of, I think, two Michaels, Michael Sneed that was a gossip columnist for the Chicago SunTimes and Michael Steele who played the bass for The Bangles. That’s a deep dive on female Michaels. And, of course, an archangel is named Michael as well, and it just had a lot of potency for us.”

Marin-Green commented, “I appreciated the sort of statement it makes all on its own to have this woman with this male name, just speaking of the amelioration of how we see men and women in the future. But I also just decided for my creation and for my background and whatnot that I was named after my father. So we get a little bit of exploration of the father-daughter dynamic.”

Bryan Fuller Redesigned the Star Trek Discovery Klingons

Nobody sais anything about the Vulcan Hello. I don't remember vulcans as warriors.

Yes, they did. :)

Vulcans greeted the Klingons by attacking first, thus earning their respect. That was the Vulcan "Hello" to the Klingons - attacking.

Are we in the universe where Vulcan is destroyed by Nero, or whatever his name was?
But that doesn't happen for another 10 years anyway, at the start of Kirktime, surely.

I'm just trying to keep up, Cathbad.
I'm sure that in knowing about canon and stuff you beat me every time, mate.
All these time lines just leave me confused.

Back