Star Trek - Discovery - 1.01: The Vulcan Hello

Thats not he point Cathbad, what they've done here is a problem , you cannot get around it.

they're taking 1960's science fiction tv show and creating a 21 century prequel whose look and feel cannot in any shape of form be a believable prequel to that show . It doesn't work Cathbad.

So in your opinion, the Star Trek universe should be held to 1960s technology?

They made it a Prequel to the original and I can only suspend disbelief so far.

1) You didn't want them to even make this series.

2) Shortly before it began, you indicated your dislike of it.

3) You are upset they're using post-1960s technology.

Sorry, but under these circumstances, I cannot take your criticism as honest - though fully expected.

So in your opinion, the Star Trek universe should be held to 1960s technology?

Looking at that old series now , can you honestly still believe it to look futuristic in terms of its technology ?

1) You didn't want them to even make this series.

2) Shortly before it began, you indicated your dislike of it.

3) You are upset they're using post-1960s technology.

Sorry, but under these circumstances, I cannot take your criticism as honest - though fully expected.

No I didn't want them make another prequel series . This one takes takes place 10 years before the original series because quite frankly is a 21 century science fiction series which is pretending to be a prequel to 50 year tv series. It just doesn't work at any level and you for one reason chose to ignore this. Why is that ?

Last edited:
Looking at that old series now , can you honestly still believe it to look futuristic in terms of its technology ?

Absolutely. I have said multiple times, that TOS was restricted by the current technology. And in 50 years, they will say the same of this series.

Actually, I've been repeating your stances practically verbatim.

Cathbad you want a Star Trek series so bad that you willing overlook the screamingly obvious problems here.

Cathbad you want a Star Trek series so bad that you willing overlook the screamingly obvious problems here.

No, Baylor. Believe it or not, I'm not that shallow.

In an effort to show "how bad" the series is - after just one episode, mind you - you chose to attack it's failure to adhere to 1960s technology - which I believe most would not even consider a little problem, but you have called "screamingly obvious problems".

Absolutely. I have said multiple times, that TOS was restricted by the current technology. And in 50 years, they will say the same of this series.

They have 1960's transistors in their technology , and they Call them duotronics , They still uses medium of Tape. and the compute makes the sound of an old time computer. The original series looks old and dated Cathbad, Its Become Buck Rogers . You cannot make a 21 century prequel series to it believable.

They have 1960's transistors in their technology , and they Call them duotronics , They still uses medium of Tape. and the compute makes the sound of an old time computer. The original series looks old and dated Cathbad, Its Become Buck Rogers . You cannot make a 21 century prequel series to it believable.

You state as fact what, in reality, is just your personal opinion.

I give up. Do us both a favor, and please don't watch another episode of STD.

No, Baylor. Believe it or not, I'm not that shallow.

In an effort to show "how bad" the series is - after just one episode, mind you - you chose to attack it's failure to adhere to 1960s technology - which I believe most would not even consider a little problem, but you have called "screamingly obvious problems".

No Cathbad what you being is stubborn. And no matter how I explain the problem , you don't want to see it or here.

Im done.

You state as fact what, in reality, is just your personal opinion.

I give up. Do us both a favor, and please don't watch another episode of STD.

Don't worry, Im not going to waste my time with this series.

Please guys, show the love. I'm glad most liked it and that even @BAYLOR thought it was merely disappointing.

I happen to agree with Baylor about the Enterprise emblem. It was something I flagged up when I saw the very, very first trailer, but I thought they would correct it, or else they were just using something that has become a trade mark for the Star Trek franchise as an emblem for the show. Each ship should have its own emblem, that is established Trek canon and nothing whatever to do with technology. It shows they don't care about that canon, and it has little to do with making it a better story.

As regards to the superior technology, that is the whole problem with making Sci Fi prequels and why I don't think they should make them. If they had set it post-Voyager then it wouldn't have been such a problem. However, they did make it a prequel, and that is that. I am already over that, and I have to agree with @Cathbad on this, if you can't stand for that, then just don't watch it. Otherwise, you will be criticising the technology every week, and you won't even have time to follow the plot.

Really, these are two very old arguments that we already had last year. I think we should shelve them now and talk about the plot. I can't until I get to see it (I think it is coming to Netflix tonight) so I'm going to bow out until then. I suggest you start a new thread on each episode and I'll create a new sub-forum.

I happen to agree with Baylor about the Enterprise emblem.

Although I missed it, I agree with you and Baylor on that. I'd like to compare the two side-by-side, to see if there are actually any differences.

Still, is this nit-picking a bit?

This is the one of the reasons I don't go science fiction conventions. Id never get out alive. :(

Back