The Thing Itself by Adam Roberts

Stewart Hotston

I'm a big fan of big thinking stories. I read them wherever they come from and occasionally they come up on Sci-fi and Fantasy. There are three big purveyors of this kind of sci-fi. Mieville, Vandemeer and Adam Roberts.

The Thing Itself is a story that explains Kant's systematic ontology. Now, this may sound boring but it's also a fantastic story loosely based on the movie the 'thing' with elements of 'Three men in a boat' and a hint of Connie Willis.

Roberts has a decent grasp of the source material and weaves it into a great sci-fi thriller with some especially weird bits where Kant meets the world as we experience it everyday.

This may not be everyone's cup of tea - after all there's little pew pew and not a whole bunch of gratuitous violence but it is full of intrigue, thought, excitement and is, overall, a very well crafted tale.

I continue to hold that this triumverate of authors are some of the most exciting* genre fiction being written in English today.

*by exciting I mean creating content that explores the edges of fiction as an art, ideas as currency and ask the reader big questions that they'll have to think about to answer.