Doctor Who (36) 10.6: Extremis

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
I knew I had seen that Veritas book somewhere before:

Given all the hype surrounding the return of Missy, this was a disappointing filler episode merely to lead into next week. The Pope coming out of Bill's bedroom was unusual though, even for Doctor Who.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
This reportedly will be a three-parter. Moffat had a little extra time to get things rolling. I hope it was worth it. :unsure:

Kylara

Ghosting
Meh. Even more meh than usual.

Matt Lucas amusing as always but more because of his acting than the script.

HoopyFrood

The main event is me!
It sounds like this is going to be a love/hate it episode. I've already seen the same in people's reactions on Facebook. Personally I really liked it, intriguing all the way through and felt nicely filmed. I just love Bill more and more with each new episode, she's just so natural and easy. Also loved what she was wearing.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I felt underwhelmed through much of this episode.

The first problem was the extreme idea of the Pope coming to the Doctor. I thought the Doctor was trying to keep a low profile, so it seemed strange to have the Vicar of Christ and a number of cardinals appear on his secret doorstep.

Additionally, I was left wondering why the Pope couldn't speak English, nor could his Italian be translated by the Tardis - or why the book couldn't simply be brought into the Tardis to be automatically translated. Possibly that's due to the grand idea revealed near the end - that the aliens didn't know - but I'm still not so sure if it wasn't just a simple script oversight.

The basic concept of a simulated reality was good - but it took half an hour to get to the point of the Doctor actually reading the book. Compared to the Tennant episodes there's a serious lack of energy in these Capaldi ones.

The Missy flashbacks seemed a little gratuitous - a big set up for an execution that never happens, thus rendering the set-up pointless. I was left scratching my head at that.

There was a clever idea in here, but it felt like it could have been a little more engaging. That's just my opinion, though - the rest of the family seemed to enjoy it.

Cathbad

Level 30 Geek Master
I really liked this one. It did seem a bit slow to build but the Doctor calling the Doctor!!

And I too am starting to like Bill more and more. :) She seems more "real" than past companions.

Narkalui

Nerf Herder
I just rewatched this episode for the third time and I think it still stands up as a great Dr Who episode. Especially compared to series 11!