Doctor Who (36) 10.6: Extremis

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I knew I had seen that Veritas book somewhere before:

Given all the hype surrounding the return of Missy, this was a disappointing filler episode merely to lead into next week. The Pope coming out of Bill's bedroom was unusual though, even for Doctor Who.

This reportedly will be a three-parter. Moffat had a little extra time to get things rolling. I hope it was worth it. :unsure:

Meh. Even more meh than usual.

Matt Lucas amusing as always but more because of his acting than the script.

It sounds like this is going to be a love/hate it episode. I've already seen the same in people's reactions on Facebook. Personally I really liked it, intriguing all the way through and felt nicely filmed. I just love Bill more and more with each new episode, she's just so natural and easy. Also loved what she was wearing.

I felt underwhelmed through much of this episode.

The first problem was the extreme idea of the Pope coming to the Doctor. I thought the Doctor was trying to keep a low profile, so it seemed strange to have the Vicar of Christ and a number of cardinals appear on his secret doorstep.

Additionally, I was left wondering why the Pope couldn't speak English, nor could his Italian be translated by the Tardis - or why the book couldn't simply be brought into the Tardis to be automatically translated. Possibly that's due to the grand idea revealed near the end - that the aliens didn't know - but I'm still not so sure if it wasn't just a simple script oversight.

The basic concept of a simulated reality was good - but it took half an hour to get to the point of the Doctor actually reading the book. Compared to the Tennant episodes there's a serious lack of energy in these Capaldi ones.

The Missy flashbacks seemed a little gratuitous - a big set up for an execution that never happens, thus rendering the set-up pointless. I was left scratching my head at that.

There was a clever idea in here, but it felt like it could have been a little more engaging. That's just my opinion, though - the rest of the family seemed to enjoy it.

I really liked this one. It did seem a bit slow to build but the Doctor calling the Doctor!!

And I too am starting to like Bill more and more. :) She seems more "real" than past companions.

I just rewatched this episode for the third time and I think it still stands up as a great Dr Who episode. Especially compared to series 11!