Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) Discussion Thread

OMG, I've been waiting for so long for this film and that trailer is just making the wait seem even longer. Looks great, and hopefully there'll be an Awesome Mix Tape Vol II soundtrack to come as well.:)

Very much looking forward to it. The first one set a pretty high bar, hopefully Gunn is up to the challenge.

I saw the first one again two days ago when they run it on another channel. I'm still not bored of it.

Anyone knows why they need 3 years to give us the 2nd ? Is this because of the budget?

This one looks even more twisted then the first film. I can't wait to see it. :D

Anyone knows why they need 3 years to give us the 2nd ? Is this because of the budget?
I think it might be part of Marvel's plan. My understanding is that they've had the whole expanded universe films planned out in terms of releases for years. From what I read a year or two ago, it's been planned for some time that Guardians and Avengers will have some massive crossover mashup, and as some of the films drop hints or set up plot points for others, I guess they have to stick to the order. There's a Wikipedia page that lists some of the other films due over the next couple of years: Marvel Cinematic Universe - Wikipedia

I'm really looking forward to this. The first one was a huge surprise to me.

It was suggested someone make a discussion thread for those who've seen the movie. I saw it Saturday night, with my girlfriend in a packed theater. The movie itself was really funny. Lots of Baby groot and squeals from my gf whenever he appeared on the screen. If you saw the two trailers, one of those scenes will shock you about where it is in the film and what happens during the rest of the scene. It's related to baby groot, but not the trailer you're thinking of.

The rest of the movie was genuinely heart warming and a good family film at that. Ego is aptly named, Yondu plays a big role, but I won't spoil it plus you get a few scenes with Slyvester Stallone in there too. The drone fleet was a hoot.

The two largest family dynamics were Peter Quill and his father (which one does he choose?) and Nebula VS Gamora. That sets up infinity war in a big way.
Does Nebula start the whole war by going after Thanos herself?

Last edited:
I enjoyed the movie, but I think the first one was better *le gasp!* To talk about it in movie terms: I think the A story was fine, a bit thin and weak, but the characters were strong enough. The B story was meh. Really heavy handed even though I get how it ties together with the A story. (I also think the ending to the B story was unnecessary) I think the C story was actually quite good! But I think the D story definitely distracted from EVERYTHING and should have been saved for the third movie. I mean REALLY REALLY should have just left it. Would have been so much better without!

A story: Quill/Ego storyline - Father and Son relationship discovery and resolution

B story: Yondu/Rocket storyline - Yondu's life choices (history with Quill) and effect on Rocket's ongoing life choices

C story: Gamora/Nebula storyline - Past choices and affects of sisterhood (learning to speak/face truthes)

D story: Gamora/Quill storyline - Romance/love desires.

For Technical purposes:

E story: Drax/Mantis storyline - meeting and friendship developments.

I'm also making effort to be vague in the spoiler section.

Would also like to point out that things weren't balanced in terms of villainy. And it irked me a lot.