Why Do You Like to talk about and Recommend books that You've Read?

I'm in the same boat as you, Ethics_Gradient. I do find the recommendations on the Chronicles pages to be very good and i don't think I've had a bum steer yet. Werthead, Vince, Vertigo and AE35Unit are probably my go to guys for recommendations as they have a similar taste to my own.

How are you guys when it comes to getting feedback with the books you recommend?

It stands to reason that other reader won't get the same amount of pleasure that you do from them or perhaps they won't read into it what you have. I tend to get a bit bristley when it comes to negative feedback. :)

I think it's quite common to get a bit defensive if someone comes back at you with a negative response to your recommendations. Not everyone will like the same things and we just have to accept it.

How are you guys when it comes to getting feedback with the books you recommend?

It stands to reason that other reader won't get the same amount of pleasure that you do from them or perhaps they won't read into it what you have. I tend to get a bit bristley when it comes to negative feedback. :)
I guess I get a little disappointed, maybe, but not too much I fully understand that some people will hate the books I like and vice versa (keep it quiet but I really wasn't too impressed with The Stars My Destination). I'm always happy to say what I think about a book but very rarely actually recommend them. I just find I'm often not so good at matching a book to a reader and feel a little guilty, really, if I recommend a book and then they're disappointed.

What I find much harder, though, is when someone has recommended a book or even just highly praised it and then I don't like it. I feel really bad if/when I then criticise it!

I guess I get a little disappointed, maybe, but not too much I fully understand that some people will hate the books I like and vice versa (keep it quiet but I really wasn't too impressed with The Stars My Destination). I'm always happy to say what I think about a book but very rarely actually recommend them. I just find I'm often not so good at matching a book to a reader and feel a little guilty, really, if I recommend a book and then they're disappointed.

What I find much harder, though, is when someone has recommended a book or even just highly praised it and then I don't like it. I feel really bad if/when I then criticise it!

Not everyone has the same tastes books. That's simply the way it is. :)

I am looking for books or authors that demonstrate good world building in the sci-fi genre. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Strange thing. I find that I never read books people recommend to me or books that people give me.
I pondered why that was and wrote an essay on it. The essay boiled down to the joy of exploration and discovery. One is unintentionally robbed of that by gifts from people who claim they know your taste whilst actually pushing theirs onto you.

It is the same with old pop music. People will say "This is really good." When what they mean is "This brings back experiential memories of a place and time for me." That associative cluster of music. place and time is not actually transferrable to me despite your subconscious wish that it was.

Last edited:
Strange thing. I find that I never read books people recommend to me or books that people give me.
I pondered why that was and wrote an essay on it. The essay boiled down to the joy of exploration and discovery. One is unintentionally robbed of that by gifts from people who claim they know your taste whilst actually pushing theirs onto you.

It is the same with old pop music. People will say "This it is really good." When what they mean is "This brings back experiential memories of a place and time for me." That associative cluster of music. place and time is not actually transferrable to me despite your subconscious wish that it was.

Understandable and to each his own , but as a result, you do miss out books you might actually enjoy. And part of discovery process of books is books that are recommended. When I recommend a book ir books , I hope that the person might like it . But, I don't really presume or assume anything in that regard.

Last edited:
I partly ecognize some of the sentiments @Astro Pen describes. It's a kind of reflex to view recommendations with wariness. I doubt they understand my taste, while I know for certain they don't share it. We all seek different things in books or music, depending on our personal situation, interests and history.
Having said that, at the same time I can't deny feeling the wish myself to talk about books I read and particularly liked. Not about music, though. Music is more about taste, where books are about the content, the ideas or compelling story.
Recommending a book is trying to tell people something about yourself; this is what I like, this is about the things I care about or this is what moves me. We want to be understood by the people around us and recommendations are a (flawed) tool for that and is also why we like people to show are bookcases. Here, see? That's me.

I find that review or synopsis, recommendation or Top-whatever list don't really diminish my enjoyment of a book, because:
A. every such effort to summarize a novel, what the author took a whole novel to convey, is bound to fall short by miles.
B. it is mostly the tone and style of the author that determines the essence of a book. Even a well-known plot can still remain surprising if well told.
What for me determines a good book depends more on the How than the About of the storytelling. But that, I think, is very personal preference.

I enjoy talking about the books I've read because I like to share some of what I've learned and my thoughts on what I've learned. I have very few people to discuss science fiction books with and when I do I often find that our discussions are more on a meta level than on actual books. We might discuss what we like in our science fiction and give examples from books we've read. On a rare occasion when we've read the same books or stories we'll discuss those in more details. I've given her a couple of recommendations and she's shared a few with me. Most of the recommendations are very specific to something she's said about things she's liked about what she's read.

I tend to recommend more non-fiction books than fiction books. I usually do so in the context of a discussion that allows me to share information from something I've read. Usually my recommendations are in the context of "If you want to learn more about that I highly recommend x book by y author.

I enjoy talking about the books I've read because I like to share some of what I've learned and my thoughts on what I've learned. I have very few people to discuss science fiction books with and when I do I often find that our discussions are more on a meta level than on actual books. We might discuss what we like in our science fiction and give examples from books we've read. On a rare occasion when we've read the same books or stories we'll discuss those in more details. I've given her a couple of recommendations and she's shared a few with me. Most of the recommendations are very specific to something she's said about things she's liked about what she's read.

I tend to recommend more non-fiction books than fiction books. I usually do so in the context of a discussion that allows me to share information from something I've read. Usually my recommendations are in the context of "If you want to learn more about that I highly recommend x book by y author.

You want change the world ? Here's how you do it . You read book and, if you love it and think it great and worthwhile, you tell the world about it. That is how you do it, it's that simple. :)

I actually ended up liking The Coming of the Horseclans by Robert Adams :cool:

The Well At The End of The World by William Morris Aterrific 19th century epic fantasy novel .:cool:

Last edited:
Im current; reading a Kothar book by Gardner Francis Fox . Definitely old time Heroic fantasy and fun to read. :cool:

The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart The legend of kind Artur told from the perceptive of Merlin . Great stuff . :cool:

A need to make a difference in this world , in the only way that I know how.:(

Last edited: