A Growing indifference to Cinema Going

After many years of none attendance -Started by my utter disgust at watching the way the "ooo ooo Eight of ten" franchises had reboots and their fishing net plot errors - I was tempted last week to visit the local cinema photographic emporium to watch

Uncharted.

I enjoyed it. Good old fashioned ripping yarn treasure hunt nonsense in which I could switch off my normally forward optomistic joyful outlook for a couple of hours.

Course it helped I had played all the games. It was pleasing to see they mainly kept to the "script"

Looking forward the the next one.

Urgghhh. I HATE crossovers.

I think it depends on how it's done. Lister and the Red Dwarf team turning up on Coronation Street was hilarious. And if Terry Nation's idea of having the Daleks turn up in Blakes 7 that could have been terrific.

There's no reason why separate franchises shouldn't co-exist in the same universe, but I think it has to be done for the right reasons for it to work.

I think it depends on how it's done. Lister and the Red Dwarf team turning up on Coronation Street was hilarious. And if Terry Nation's idea of having the Daleks turn up in Blakes 7 that could have been terrific.

There's no reason why separate franchises shouldn't co-exist in the same universe, but I think it has to be done for the right reasons for it to work.

There was a very good Graphic novel crossover Dr Who/Star Trek the Next Generation, Assimilation 2. It makes me wish they would allow a television crossover with these two franchises .:cool:

@BAYLOR

They effectively did that when they had the "Groundhog Day" reset which for me completly ruined the whole business.

I no will no longer have anything to do the films.

I prefer that when a character comes out a shower he's maybe a little wet: not flung back in time to before he was shot.

Not unless it's a straight up front in your face no messing time travel story.

Although most of them are crap too.

(So too with Foo Foo eight and and the Sca Fell Pike nonesense)

@BAYLOR

They effectively did that when they had the "Groundhog Day" reset which for me completly ruined the whole business.

I no will no longer have anything to do the films.

I prefer that when a character comes out a shower he's maybe a little wet: not flung back in time to before he was shot.

Not unless it's a straight up front in your face no messing time travel story.

Although most of them are crap too.

(So too with Foo Foo eight and and the Sca Fell Pike nonesense)

In the movies , no one is allowed to die permanently as long as there is money to be made.

I didn't want to create a thread just for this but since it does reference modern films here and there--seems a good place for it.

"Films like these are generally a punchline today. They’re tacky and goofy and soft targets for lampooners, and the sort of bad-old-days fare genre fans tend to cringe at. But to me, they contain far, far more of the essence of the fantastical than so many of their inflated children."

I didn't want to create a thread just for this but since it does reference modern films here and there--seems a good place for it.

"Films like these are generally a punchline today. They’re tacky and goofy and soft targets for lampooners, and the sort of bad-old-days fare genre fans tend to cringe at. But to me, they contain far, far more of the essence of the fantastical than so many of their inflated children."

Those films are still fun to watch ,

At The Earth Core , that one is the most fun and you see that both Doug McClure and Peter Cushing were both and alot of making that film .:)

These movies were a staple for me growing up and would watch them whenever they came on TV.

The Land That Time Forgot is the smartest--I like the dialogue--especially between the submarine captain and the scientist.
This is what is missing in movies now--this is a case where the characters are smarter than the audience. It's rare to find that now.

The Land That Time Forgot is the smartest--I like the dialogue--especially between the submarine captain and the scientist.
This is what is missing in movies now--this is a case where the characters are smarter than the audience. It's rare to find that now.

Michael Moorcock co wrote the screenplay .

For blockbusters, they are all generally the same:

- more than two hours long and filled with spectacle (and mostly computer-generated) to justify the high ticket prices;

- rated PG or so in order to maximize viewership;

- a focus on plot and action in order to appeal to multiple cultures, as selling to the domestic market won't be enough; and

- rehashes, reboots, sequels, prequels, etc., in order to speed up development time and milk franchises for all they're worth.

For anything else, probably something like the effects of Bloom's "anxiety of influence," i.e., not much to add that's already been done.

There's similar for pop music (e.g., a century of three-chord, three-minute songs, regular beat, major scales, a dozen or so bars, banal lyrics), video games (the same types of games but with different skins), and so on.

But there are many works from the past to consider, such as over 2,000 movies across multiple decades and countries. That's certainly enough for watching (and rewatching, and thinking about) one movie a week for the next 50 years or so. And then do similar for music, books, etc., and you'll feel the complete opposite of indifference.

I've never been that much of a cinema-goer---even when I worked at a movie theater for two and a half years, I only ever used my free movie pass three or four times. It's still the case now; I only saw three new movies in 2021, and all of those were with family members. The same goes doubly for prestige TV, which I categorically don't watch, partly because I don't have time, and partly out of an aversion to new, hip, and/or trendy media. If a new release really is good, it will be just as good in five or ten years.

The great works of the past are where it's at!

For blockbusters, they are all generally the same:

- more than two hours long and filled with spectacle (and mostly computer-generated) to justify the high ticket prices;

- rated PG or so in order to maximize viewership;

- a focus on plot and action in order to appeal to multiple cultures, as selling to the domestic market won't be enough; and

- rehashes, reboots, sequels, prequels, etc., in order to speed up development time and milk franchises for all they're worth.

For anything else, probably something like the effects of Bloom's "anxiety of influence," i.e., not much to add that's already been done.

There's similar for pop music (e.g., a century of three-chord, three-minute songs, regular beat, major scales, a dozen or so bars, banal lyrics), video games (the same types of games but with different skins), and so on.

But there are many works from the past to consider, such as over 2,000 movies across multiple decades and countries. That's certainly enough for watching (and rewatching, and thinking about) one movie a week for the next 50 years or so. And then do similar for music, books, etc., and you'll feel the complete opposite of indifference.

agreed, furthermore, the formula for an MCU film has been a disaster to cinemas. i once went to a theatre in downtown vancouver after an exam, the three movies it was showing: spiderman far from home, another marvel movie of which the title i have forgotten, and a DC movie. the cinema is slowly progressing towards become a new disney world attraction. good, novel cinema (unless it has a huge director like nolan backing it) is in the domain of streaming services now. a company that owns multiple theatres thinks, "why should i run this potential box office risk when i can get a guaranteed ticket seller with MCU film #257?" and thus marks the death of the cinema.

Life imitates cinema

‘Jaws’ child star named police chief of town where movie was filmed
By Andrew Court
May 19, 2022

From co-starring in “Jaws” to enforcing the laws.

Jonathan Searle has been named the new police chief of Oak Bluffs — 47 years after he filmed Steven Spielberg’s iconic shark shocker in the same Massachusetts town that went by the fictional name of Amity in the classic summer blockbuster.

His appointment generated a big bite of buzz when the tiny town’s board announced it had voted 3-1 to offer the top cop role to the longtime community servant.

“I’m finding the whole thing quite funny myself!” Searle, 56, told The Post on Thursday amid all the fuss on the island located south of Cape Cod.

Oak Bluffs, which is home to just over 5,000 full-time residents, is part of ritzy Martha’s Vineyard, where “Jaws” was shot back in 1975.

In that movie, Searle and his real-life brother, Steven, memorably played two pranksters who caused mass panic on the beach after swimming into the ocean with a cardboard fin.

Life imitates cinema

‘Jaws’ child star named police chief of town where movie was filmed
By Andrew Court
May 19, 2022

From co-starring in “Jaws” to enforcing the laws.

Jonathan Searle has been named the new police chief of Oak Bluffs — 47 years after he filmed Steven Spielberg’s iconic shark shocker in the same Massachusetts town that went by the fictional name of Amity in the classic summer blockbuster.

His appointment generated a big bite of buzz when the tiny town’s board announced it had voted 3-1 to offer the top cop role to the longtime community servant.

“I’m finding the whole thing quite funny myself!” Searle, 56, told The Post on Thursday amid all the fuss on the island located south of Cape Cod.

Oak Bluffs, which is home to just over 5,000 full-time residents, is part of ritzy Martha’s Vineyard, where “Jaws” was shot back in 1975.

In that movie, Searle and his real-life brother, Steven, memorably played two pranksters who caused mass panic on the beach after swimming into the ocean with a cardboard fin.
There's a time travel story lurking in that piece somewhere.

After many years of none attendance -Started by my utter disgust at watching the way the "ooo ooo Eight of ten" franchises had reboots and their fishing net plot errors - I was tempted last week to visit the local cinema photographic emporium to watch

Uncharted.

I enjoyed it. Good old fashioned ripping yarn treasure hunt nonsense in which I could switch off my normally forward optomistic joyful outlook for a couple of hours.

Course it helped I had played all the games. It was pleasing to see they mainly kept to the "script"

Looking forward the the next one.

And there will be a sequels.

Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg... move over Chuck Connors, there's some real macho men in town now!

Re-purposed from FB

2n.jpg

Back