7.11: The Walking Dead - Hostiles and Calamities

ctg

weaver of the unseen
5aggAK3.jpg

Negan and Eugene (Photo by Gene Page/AMC)

An outsider experiences The Sanctuary.

While this episode did little to advance the rebellion plot, it was a revealing look into the world of Negan and the Saviors.
Eugene seemed to adapt rather quickly to his new environment, although being spared the Daryl treatment helped. Negan apparently felt no need to break a man who appeared to be a sniveling coward when the bag was removed from his head upon arrival. Eugene quickly impressed his new boss with his metallic reinforcement solution to the rotting walker guard problem.
I thought the poison pill request from the Negan wives might have been a test of Eugene's loyalty, especially when Negan came calling shortly after Eugene refused to give them the pills. I must have been wrong, as Negan said nothing on the subject and did not collect the pills -- just to ensure that they did not somehow end up in his morning coffee some day.
I was surprised when Negan tossed the doctor into the fire. I was expecting another Lucille head smashing execution. Somehow, being burned alive seemed more humane -- perhaps a measure of how desensitized to extreme violence TWD has made me. :)

I think it is an act. There was a glimpse of a smile on his face after the scene with Negan in which he declares his 'credentials'.

Yeah I think Eugene is full of it.

Basically it was word for word the same speech as Abraham. However I also think that being a complete coward Eugene is going to accept his new place among the saviors.

Haircut is definitely a turncoat in the making.

I am not too sure about him becoming a turncoat.

I thought the same - until the moment Eugene pushed in the line and took everything. That was basically Eugene saying "actually, you know what, this ain't too bad, I got the biggest bully around who has my back".

I don't think he's a turncoat either. I had seven paras written on the episode when first review was posted. I deleted them, because it would have been me defending Eugene and Dwight. I didn't want that, but now I think I should have.

Thing about Eugene is that he is more and less like I am. I often see solutions to thinks before they appear. And I am also a coward for not raising arms and being a biggest bully in the room.

In fact, I hide much like my icon, the mechanical spider. I too find games relieving tension rather than building up stress. And I too shy away from social occasions, meeting with people, because i just have been put down too often.

Eugene and Dwight harbour hatred towards Negan. And Dwight's committing a murder of Negan's doctor was an act of war, not something Negan should have ever committed if he'd understood that everyone in his camp are scared to death.

I thought the same - until the moment Eugene pushed in the line and took everything. That was basically Eugene saying "actually, you know what, this ain't too bad, I got the biggest bully around who has my back".

Eugene pushed the line and almost went back at the end of it, until he thought to try something and see if they buy lies. He knows he is valuable to Saviours. And in some respect they are treating him better than Rick's people ever did.

First chance he has, he will flee back to Rick's side. There's no doubt about that. Him and Dwight are prisoners in Yard. And their only duty is to survive. Whatever it takes.

Eugene and Dwight will play a crucial role bringing down Negan. Well that is how I see it playing out. They will end up as Rick's inside men.

@ctg

I can buy that an an explanation - it seems perfectly plausible.

However what I would say is we know from Eugenes character that he's a bit like a river flowing downhill, he likes to take the path of least resistance. I think if Eugene genuinely believes he has a better shot at safety and comfort (and women) with Negan then he might just go along with Negan.

My wife thinks Gabriel is the traitor still but I believe in Gabriel now more than I ever did.

Eugene not so much! :S

Eugene and Dwight will play a crucial role bringing down Negan. Well that is how I see it playing out. They will end up as Rick's inside men.

I think this as well, although I expect Eugene to be on the wrong side of the fence and think Dwight could come over to Ricks group. Me and the wife were discussing this - is Dwight too far gone? I'm not so sure.

Anyone else also think the stuff about Dwight and his memory loss will somehow come into the fore? It just seemed an odd thing to hang your hat on in the letter he had. Why mention his memory so much?

Are there any comic readers here and does it play a role in the comics if so?

I think this as well, although I expect Eugene to be on the wrong side of the fence and think Dwight could come over to Ricks group. Me and the wife were discussing this - is Dwight too far gone? I'm not so sure.
As a survivor, Eugene will be on the side of the fence that provides the best chance of staying alive. I don't think that he really has become "Negan."
Eugene was stepping up as a contributing member of Rick's group before Negan beat them. I anticipate that he will provide a key element in Negan's defeat when the time comes -- which I HOPE will come this season.

Anyone else also think the stuff about Dwight and his memory loss will somehow come into the fore?

We don't really know anything about Dwight, but in regards of being able to cause damage to the Negan instution, he is a perfect man in just right place. All he needs is incentive to do something controversial and which plays to Negan's downfall, he will do it. But before he tastes complete freedom to do whatever he likes, he has to play the role in Negan's leach. Just like Eugene has.

He is willing to do whatever, and in some days he is too smart for his benefit. Only if someone had given him Abraham's brass balls. But he's not the man with moustache and attitude, his genius is something completely different. His balls might be different but when they strike it's spectacular.

Also he has got over his aversion for killing. Eugene will do it - if he have to. He is just not going to like it as he can think the consequencies and those things are his downfall, because a lesser man wouldn't even raise an eyebrow for anything. To them a lot of things are just the way it is. Nothing else. Nothing less.

In other words someone could call them sheep. And Dwight and Eugene are the black ones. Negan's downfall is his inability to see clearly, because he is so obstructed on being "the boss."

Someone who is a coward and a liar can be a dangerous combination if you rely on them. Depends who will be relying on Eugene. He will let them down before long as he has let Rick's group down before.
On the one hand Eugene and Dwight are the obvious inside men. On the other they clearly enjoy their positions of power. They both had smiles after their lies were believed this episode.

Reberg I doubt very much Negan's downfall will complete this season. The story doesn't go quickly anymore. Though the attacks against him should have started.

Someone who is a coward and a liar can be a dangerous combination if you rely on them. Depends who will be relying on Eugene. He will let them down before long as he has let Rick's group down before.
On the one hand Eugene and Dwight are the obvious inside men. On the other they clearly enjoy their positions of power. They both had smiles after their lies were believed this episode.

Reberg I doubt very much Negan's downfall will complete this season. The story doesn't go quickly anymore. Though the attacks against him should have started.
Yeah. They actually backtracked this episode.