human in a society of very tall human like aliens with enhanced speed capabilities

Krak

First of all great site (Impressive forum)!

I'm trying to find a scifi story I've read a long time ago.

From what I can remember a tall young men from earth is either captured or (for some reason) end up in a spaceship en route to some kind of empire ruled by a race of very tall human like aliens (within the story, height seems to be a signal of royalty) he makes friendship with a tall (with height for their society, less then average) she's an outcast because of her less then average height.

I remember that the aliens had enhanced speed capabilities.

Adding even a few more details makes it a lot more likely that someone will recognize this. Here are some questions that might jog one or two loose:

What kind of enhanced speed capabilities? Can you remember any specific point in the story in which those capabilities were used? How were they used? How were they described? Was this an earnest space opera kind of story, or was it tongue-in-cheek? How long ago did you read it? How big was the empire? How old was it? How far and fast did the spaceship go? Is there anything about the empire's culture that stands out?

Welcome to the Chrons!

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I've read it, at least, 10-15 years ago.

The empire (If I'm not messing my stories, they had a mad king/emperor who had mad visions) was old with a power structured based in some kind of nobility who had the distinct trace (to be considered highborn) of being very tall.

I can remember this highborne nobles to have enhanced speed and reflex capabilities (not flash like speed, more very fast speed and super human reflexes).

They seem to joust by using some kind of fencing.

Our human hero who had an height above average by human standarts was considered short by them standarts.

Hope this helps.

Kudos to @chrispenycate you found it!!

When I was a kid I used to love Gordon Dickson so I must have read it then.

Thank you for your help.

Back