Help me name my blog

Stable

Watching you from upside down
I was thinking about starting a blog for my writing, so I could collect various bits and pieces that my fingers occasionally splurge into a word processor, my favourite attempts at the writing challenges and whatever else I feel like.

Last night I had a great, witty name for such a blog, but I made the classic mistake of not writing it down, and now it's gone. So Chronners: please help me name my blog!

Fantasy or sci-fi? Brainstorming various words that evoke feeling is how I come up with titles. Maybe it can help with your blog name. Let us know what you come up with!

Fantasy words to consider in naming - whimsical, musings, dream, sky, chimera, wing, flight of fancy, dragon, scroll, epic, adventure, wily, surreal, creation, fantasia, reverie, illusion, magic, fairy, pipe dream, air castle, nymph, imp

Sci-Fi words to consider in naming - escape, galactic, galaxy, abyss, wormhole, imperil, empire, stellar, maw, nova, crater, cosmic, journey, vortex, infinite, verge, brink, voyage, encounter, quasar, pulsar, constellation, eclipse, nebula

So I have a question for bloggy people. How do you navigate publishing concerns? I would like to start one up, but I'm scared that anything I put on there, short stories and such, would be disqualified from publication at any later date. Do folks write stuff specifically for blogging, or do you just post the rejects? Is it about building an audience so that later things can get published?

I think you can still submit stories that you have on your blog, but my gut instinct would be that magazines and publishing houses would be less likely to take them as you've published them for free yourself. Of course, there are some exceptions to the rule, like Andy Weir and The Martian Novel.

Myself when I blogged, I just made up stories from five hundred to a thousand words specifically for the blog.

Just my thoughts. :)

v

Eh. I just called my blog, 'Richard Marpole's Writing Blog'. So I may not be the best person to offer advice.

But if you want a more imaginative title ...

Wondrous words?

Words and worlds?

Mightier than the sword?

Dragon's pen?

Stable, I think it depends on where you want to go with your writing. Are you aiming at being published? If so, you may want to simply use your 'official' author name to build your 'brand'. (I hate that expression, but that's what everyone calls it!)

So I have a question for bloggy people. How do you navigate publishing concerns? I would like to start one up, but I'm scared that anything I put on there, short stories and such, would be disqualified from publication at any later date. Do folks write stuff specifically for blogging, or do you just post the rejects? Is it about building an audience so that later things can get published?
I expect there are as many reasons for blogging as there are bloggers.
For myself I mostly just want to collect what I've done in one place, especially things which I don't think could be published. I don't know if I'll ever reach the "getting published" stage (we'll see if I have the endurance I guess) but I intend to keep things in reserve if they have a chance. Building an audience would be a nice bonus.
I like Un-Stable, but it's triggered the idea Ur-Stable which I may actually use, so thanks!

@Gonk the Insane
That is a common problem with this screen name... :rolleyes:

@Juliana That would be the professional thing to do. But I really like Ursula Vernon's blogs, which are called things like "Bark Like a Fish, Damnit" and "Red Wombat Studio".

Consider the blog as its own platform. I do put up the occasional short linked to my novels but for anything I want published I don't use it. And, yes, once you put something up you can't sell the first rights in it

There are always exceptions to the rule. But generally you wouldn't be able to sell anything you've posted online. The below statement is from the submission guidelines for the magazine I run. Kraxon Magazine | Science fiction and fantasy magazine from Kraxon Publishing
  • the story has not, and no substantial part of the story has been previously published or made available for public viewing;

For anyone who's interested I've chosen Writing In The Balance. It was worth taking a little time to think over (and hey, I can always change it), although I'm still grumpy about losing my genius* idea.

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions, I read them all and they were definitely helpful to the process.

*It was probably really stupid, but we'll never know! ;)

Last edited: