DISCUSSION THREAD -- December 2016 75-word Writing Challenge

:) I love the idea of this genre/theme pairing, though I'm not sure my entry hit them exactly. Now, though, I wish I wasn't done writing! Well, it'll be sometime close to Christmas before we have all entries posted...looking forward to reading, and voting over the holidays. Good luck, all, in the writing, and Happy Holidays to one and all (in case I'm not onsite often between now and then). CC

edit - it's happened to me before, Cathbad, sympathies! The good thing - there are two new challenges starting a month from today! :)

i have a story in the forge but it needs a hell of a lot of hammering before it's a decent shape. still, plenty of time.

Taking time to clip words and shuffle your idea about is always a good idea. Additional polish will always help.

What doesn't help is making Mr Orange the hero of the story and my two guest appearances in the 75 word competition didn't get me a single vote, either time. I still don't know why. I clearly brought style and class to these months, not to mention RAY GUNS and my handsome happy yellow face. So guest appearances are out, go figure eh?

Bowler1 leaves scratching and shaking his handsome and now confused yellow head, muttering some too.

The good news is that I'd never be caught in a Gas Lamp fantasy, noooooo wwaaayyyyyyy. Science fiction and aliens I'm yer man.

I'm considering writing about my ordeal of trying to do a wedding in an actual mid-nineteenth century chapel complete with gas lambs.

(Think Parson squinting like crazy and basically winging the words to the wedding ceremony. --- It was truly a horror! -- Why didn't they tell me that the light would be so woeful? And me only doing my third wedding!)

The good thing - there are two new challenges starting a month from today! :)

Are you saying that there will be the 75 and the 300 like usual in January? Or are you saying that there will be two new types of challenges starting up?

Furthermore, whatever happened to the 100 anonymous challenge? The more the merrier, in my opinion.

Two new chances to write...but in the regular January challenges; you are correct, the January 75 worder, and the January 300 worder. :)

The 100 worder seems to be on hiatus; it won't be held in January because of the the 300 worder, but perhaps we can look to February, 2017 for the next one? That can be negotiated over in the Workshop.

Ashleyne. B. Watts -- The strange events of this eerie story powerfully depict an unwelcome transformation.

Cathbad -- This grim tale of horror also manages to be deeply touching.

Luiglin -- Along with its mythic vision, this story brings attention to serious social issues.

Hugh -- This moody tale combines ancient legends with literature of the recent past to great effect.

Cat's Cradle -- Cosmic events, advanced technology, and human emotion merge in this imaginative story.

Hi there peoples,

It's been a little bit. Let's just say I hate real life, especially when it interrupts my plans. It had to be done so I can't complain too much. Along with a new month comes a new genre, to me anyway.

Last month I think I missed it. This month I hope to do better.

Enjoy your weekend.

I am really excited about this it took a little while but I think I'm on to something.(fingers crossed) :)

juelz4sure -- This wry fantasy entertainingly reminds the reader of the importance of caution.

ErikB -- Beings from folklore are used to create an fable of progress in this ironic tale.

Wruter -- Beauty and elegance provide a compelling style in this dark romantic fantasy.

I will apologize to the purists for my spelling error that went unedited. It was 3:30 am and I could not yet sleep after a 9.5 hour work shift. So the "e" in unruley, should have been "unruly" of course. ;)

Some interesting stories so far. Oddly some made me think of the Thames river and how much cleaner it would have been back in the era as compared to today. Weird that this idea struck me.

I kept thinking that during the the earlier ages (far before Victorian and Edwardian England) it must have been some nice pristine waters to fish and live on. :)

Cheers!

Glen -- This rollicking comedy all too convincingly portrays out tendency to deceive ourselves.

Astrozon -- This open-ended adventure story is full of quick action and suspense.

TacticalLoco -- This poetic tale makes use of anthropomorphic characterization to portray an unusual vision.

Thanks for the review, Victoria.

Some very good entries so far, can't wait to read the many more on their way!

Victoria Silverwolf - The Ozark Plateau...Bitter winters are rare enough there I suppose, but someone should have known to be prepared.

Ultimately it is God who turns the tide, aided by the enemy's ignorance.

Whether it be The Nazis defeat in the Russian Winter, King Saul's (and later General Allenby's) victory at Michmash, Saruman's defeat at Fangorn Forest, etc.

The list goes on.

Who will be the next combative nation irreverent of the natural order of things to suffer the same fate?

Back