United Agents open house submissions

Bad luck, BD. That is quick though. Which Monday did you submit for? I sent mine in this past Monday.
Three days ago. Might be the genre wasn't interesting for them (I wrote that it's a gritty fantasy). They perhaps gave it a quick look, saw that it's way off from whatever they're looking for and that was it.

Could be. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure which open day genre fiction would fit, so I tweeted them and asked, and they said that for me (mine is sci-fi thriller) I could submit on either the crime & thriller day, or the commercial fiction day. So maybe the categories weren't as strict as it appeared, but they put them in to stop them being overwhelmed on any one day (but I'm guessing).

Anyway, commiserations, and better luck next time.

Could be. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure which open day genre fiction would fit, so I tweeted them and asked, and they said that for me (mine is sci-fi thriller) I could submit on either the crime & thriller day, or the commercial fiction day. So maybe the categories weren't as strict as it appeared, but they put them in to stop them being overwhelmed on any one day (but I'm guessing).

Anyway, commiserations, and better luck next time.
I wasn't sure which genre my WIP is (still unsure), but figured it's commercial fiction, no matter how I define it. Thanks and good luck to you!

Commiserations, BD. I think these things are a total lottery - whether something clicks with them, whether it's what they are looking for at the time.

That people are getting rejected soon after Monday, I feel kind of pleased I haven't been rejected yet, then I realise it's because they probably haven't read it yet. Good luck to every one.

United Agents have a team of readers or they did.

Good luck everyone. I didn't submit - I'm going to focus on starting my own writing business ;)

You have my condolences, BD. I get the feeling that if they made a point of saying that "there is much to admire", then that is actually something very positive (I hope that is a consolation to you; I imagine that they wouldn't say that unless it were true!).

I am in the same boat in terms of just polishing the first three chapters as much as I could, then writing a synopsis. If I get positive feedback, but nothing else then I will be a happy bunny :)

Fingers crossed to all who submitted!

Edit: for spacing and a comma.

You have my condolences, BD. I get the feeling that if they made a point of saying that "there is much to admire", then that is actually something very positive (I hope that is a consolation to you; I imagine that they wouldn't say that unless it were true!).

I am in the same boat in terms of just polishing the first three chapters as much as I could, then writing a synopsis. If I get positive feedback, but nothing else then I will be a happy bunny :)

Fingers crossed to all who submitted!

Edit: for spacing and a comma.
I got the feeling they were rbeing polite. Not sure if they really thought there was a lot to admire, but I don't intend to think about it much. I could deal with much worse comment, like: ''You suck! We'll let the whole world know!'' :D I especially appreciate the fact that whoever read it answered me straight away. I am aware that still have a lot of work before completing the novel and polishing it and what not... You also have to know that English is not my first language, so that's slowing me down as well, but I'm confident It'll be written and published, perhaps even sooner than I think!

Fingers crossed for you, man (and others, of course)!

Oh well, just got my rejection. Same format at BDFiala - said much to admire, but didn't feel connection. I'm not too bothered. It made me rewrite my synopsis, and I'm pleased about that. They did add a bit at the end of the email which was quite encouraging - "please do not give up. There are as many opinions out there as there are agents and you only need one person to feel differently about your work."
Onwards and upwards!

Sorry to hear about your Rs, Enshanta and DGJones. :(:cry: Lots of imaginary chocolate being sent your way... smooth outer coating with fine praline centres, all made from the tastiest ingredients....

Prizzley
DGJones - rejected 08/09/2016
Enshanta - rejected 08/09/2016
Anthorn
aThenian
BDFiala - rejected 18/08/2016

Good luck, everyone, whether it is with getting placed with United Agents or getting your novel published elsewhere.

I'm off the choccies at the moment, @Serendipity, having a bit of a health kick, but I appreciate the offer! Maybe if you could lob a bag of brazil nuts my way... :p

Sorry to hear this - know the feeling all too well.... how about some Niedderegger Marzipan instead - done to a secret recipe and used to be prescribed by Doctors in Hamburg as medicine... yes, this is a true story...

Enshanta - you're welcome... maybe we ought to start a chocolate recipe theme?

Sorry to hear that guys - have some more choccy. I haven't heard anything yet - although I got a rejection email from somewhere else last night, so maybe I can indulge in something comforting too - think I'll go for coffee creams.

Sorry to hear that there are more of you on the rejected list, but since I can see that everyone here seems to be into chocolate, you should all try Bajadera chocolates. It's a local specialty that would surely ease your suffering a bit!

I had totally forgotten about this thread and have to belatedly admit to having subbed on the 15th, the commercial fiction day. The only reason I've remembered is that I have a note in my diary for today (that I should have heard from UA by now, 6 weeks after subbing). I haven't, so far, but there are a few hours of today left. I'd imagine they're still clearing backlogs and will be a while sending out all the Rs.

Anyone else heard back? @prizzley, @anthorn or @aThenian?