United Agents open house submissions

But… condensing your 100,000 word novel to a synopsis is a brilliant exercise in editing, and all authors should do it as a matter of course. It is vital to acquire the "dual" approach of being close to your work and far away. The latter place is where your readers are.

Then, when you've done the synopsis, condense it to a blurb - if you can write a three paragraph blurb covering the novel, you are winning…

I find the blurb easier than the synopsis. A blurb is a taster whereas the synopsis needs to tell the story. I am tempted to send in Black's Nest and see what happens.

Last edited:
All novels boil down to two sentences. Protagonist has problem. Protagonist solves problem by means x. ... or am I being too naive?
Heinlein wrote "There are three main plots for the human-interest story: boy-meets-girl, the Little Tailor, and the man-who-learned-better." plus the (non human interest?) gadget story. More here.
I'm not sure where all this leaves the likes of Watership Down or LOTR.

Heinlein wrote "There are three main plots for the human-interest story: boy-meets-girl, the Little Tailor, and the man-who-learned-better." plus the (non human interest?) gadget story. More here.
I'm not sure where all this leaves the likes of Watership Down or LOTR.

I believe this was later narrowed down to "the success story" - so LOTR at least is that… ;)

I've sent my submission. The acknowledgement says, "due to the enormous number of submissions ... we have had to extend our response-by date slightly. We will reply within four to six weeks of receiving your submission."

Good luck to anyone else submitting.

I've sent my submission. The acknowledgement says, "due to the enormous number of submissions ... we have had to extend our response-by date slightly. We will reply within four to six weeks of receiving your submission."

Good luck to anyone else submitting.

Ditto - got mine in, same response. Fingers crossed.

Those of you who got close and are unagented might find this interesting -
"United Agents are delighted to announce their August Open House season, inviting novelists to send them their works-in-progress with a view to representation."
Hello all,
I've just joined this forum.. I was a lurker during the Hodderscape Open Submission process, (got my R in April) so thank you Roy1 for posting this link. I have just submitted my work and got the same response as others. After 8 months of waiting for a Hodderscape response, my expectations are not high, but hey, gotta be in it to have a chance. If nothing else, I have revised my synopsis and spruced up my first three chapters.
Good luck everybody!

I've submitted. Thanks @Roy1 for posting the link.

It's encouraging that even with the revised time schedule, this one is still aiming to get back to people in weeks not months!

They are very quick, indeed. I got a response this morning. Unfortunately, they were quick in anouncing that they aren't interested... Well, I knew it was a long shot, but it was worth a try.

They are very quick, indeed. I got a response this morning. Unfortunately, they were quick in anouncing that they aren't interested... Well, I knew it was a long shot, but it was worth a try.
Commiserations BDFiala. As you say, always worth a try, and you never know what they are looking for. Did they give any feedback, out of interest?

Commiserations BDFiala. As you say, always worth a try, and you never know what they are looking for. Did they give any feedback, out of interest?
They said there was much to admire, but they didn't feel a connection. That's about it. As I said, I didn't expect much, since I didn't have it edited, I had no beta readers, basically just polished my first three chapters the best I could, wrote a synopsis and sent it. I figured it was kind of like lottery, so I didn't expect a miracle but wanted to give it a try anyway. I hope you do better :)