Discussion thread -- July 2016 75-word Writing Challenge

Thanks! 3 mentions is stellar this mo.

I was worried I had to cut too much out of the story for clarity... I'll just finish that thought after the voting closes though. :speechless:

I didn't mean to vote stealthily, just didn't have enough time last night to post the list.

Victoria -- Echolocation
Azzagorn -- The Cave
Coast -- Travellers
*Old_Man_Steve -- The Sound of Your Own Voice*

chrispy -- Delay in Transmission
StilLearning -- No One Stays to Chat
HazelRah -- As It Flashes Before My Eyes
mosaix -- Think Before You Speak...
HB -- Master and Servant
Perp -- Straight on Past Milliways
Cul -- The Library at the End of the World
reiver33 -- Best Served Before...
TJ -- Sins of the Fathers

It was a close thing between Old_Man_Steve and Coast, at the end there.

Special mention for getting three stories in a row with reference to Adams.

Special mention to Mad Alice for "grinning fangily", which is my new favorite phrase.

Gearing up now for space kittens in the style of Dr. Seuss.

I'm sorry to say that time has simply escaped me this month, so I've no time to give my usual top ten run down and reviews - apologies.

But I've had time to read them all, and by the merest whisker I've given my vote to @Old_Man_Steve2016, but Chrisp was a very, very close second. Both brilliant entries.

After a final review of the stories, I hesitantly voted for Chrispenycate. I'm afraid.:coffee:

Mentions are Drof, Cathbad, OldManSteve, and Victoria Silverwolf. Good job everyone.

Last edited:
Thankyou to Cathbad, Drof, johnnyjet, LittleStar and TDZ for the mentions, and a hugely humble thankyou to Cascade and Mosaix for the generous votes :D I really wasn't expecting much this month.

Anyway, to the voting.

Shortlist

Calliopenjo
StilLearning
Mad Alice
Old Man Steve
Ratsy

Finalists

Coast
Littlestar

But my vote had to go to Cascade with such a hauntingly beautiful take on the theme. That one will stay with me for a while I suspect.

Thanks for the listings and mentions Mosaix, Wruter, Moonbat, Phyrebat, Little Star, Starbeast, The Dusty Zebra, HazelRah (and anyone I missed). An thanks ever so much to Mr Orange for the vote!

My choices:

Vote: The Canyon of Smug. By Moonbat. It put a smile on my face, what can I say?

My other finalists….

Back and there by Thomas G

Umbra b Luiglin

Echoes 4067 A.D. by IHe

The Screams by Pwaa

The Library at the End of the World by Chulwch

Hmm... just saw I had a second vote!! Went back through the posts, but nobody admits to it (not that I blame them ;)). So, thank you, whoever you are!! :)

Hmmm. I know old age and a concomitant lack of comprehension has been less creeping up on me than galloping apace in recent years, but I'm poleaxed by the fact so many stories this month have left me completely flummoxed. At this rate I shall need TDZ's Space Kittens in the style of Dr Seuss next month, as that will be my intellectual limit.

Anyhow, my short list of those tales which my fading faculties did allow me to understand.

Cascade -- This Holy Place
Culhwch -- The Library At the End Of The World
HazelRah -- As it flashes before my eyes
mosaix -- Think Before You Speak...
Phyrebrat -- Stone Whisperer
Shyrka -- Blood & Echoes
The Big Peat -- Song of a Better Time
TheDustyZebra -- If we shadows have offended...
Victoria Silverwolf -- Echolocation​

The vote was something of a battle between Cul and Victoria, but Victoria finally won on points with her beautiful Just-So-like tale.

TDZ gets a special award for her use of Shakespeare in the title of her story, which appeared to be A Midsummer Night's Nightmare.

Phyrebrat
and mosaix also get special mentions, but in my Black Book of Egregious Offenders since they both pinched the theme of the story I intended to write (years ago I planned a whole SF detective series about a woman who could see the past by listening to the echoes left in buildings, so the plot is mine I tell you, mine!) and then compounded the offence by writing better stories with it than I would have done, damn them.

Thanks to Messrs pH and m, I had rather to rush out a story with no inspiration, and the result I found somewhat underwhelming. And as is the perverse way of things here in the Challenges it's got me actual votes which have eluded me for the past months when I've written stories I much preferred and thought were better. There must be a moral in that somewhere. So an echoing psychopathic telltale bow for the mentions, short- and long-listings Coast, Droflet, Cascade, mosaix, johnnyjet, CC and TDZ and a murdering curl-of-the-lip mega-thanks for the stupendous votes nixie and Parson (who was the last person I expected to like a tale of an unrepentant serial killer of innocent people!!).

Longishly Shortish List
Thomas g
Hope writes
Victoria Silver wolf
Azragorn
Cory Swanson
Star beast
Phyrebrat
Chrispy
Big J
Still earning
Hazel Rah
Ajiid
Droflet

Shorterish Finalist List

Parson
Moonbat
Dusty Zebra
Dave
Johnny Jet
Pwaa
Coast
Wruter
Cascade

Vote
Vaz

Thank you for the reviews Victoria and Shyka!!
Thank you for the mentions / listings Hazel Rah, Chrispy, Droflet, Vaz, Ajiid & Star beast!
And a great big fangs a lot to Dusty Zebra for the special mention! :D
Looks like Chrispy is in lead, now. I guess we can all set our phasers to pun for next month!

So many good stories echoing around in my head. Here, according to the Ursa jury, are the best of them:

Honourable Mentions:
  • Blood & Echoes by Shyrka
  • The sound of your own voice by Old_Man_Steve2016
  • Echo by Dave
  • Stone Whisperer by Phyrebrat
Runners Up:
  • Delay in transmission. by chrispenycate
  • Think Before You Speak... by mosaix
  • Best Served Before... by reiver33
Winner:
  • Echolocation by Victoria Silverwolf

(In the above, each category is ordered by time of posting.)

The poll closed at midnight (GMT), and we have a winner:

Congratulations, chrispenycate!

Piece of cake, really.... :rolleyes::eek:;):)

polls_Congratulations__0907_0510_549393_answer_2_xlarge.jpg

@chrispenycate !

congrats.png

Chrispenycate

Hmm... just saw I had a second vote!! Went back through the posts, but nobody admits to it (not that I blame them ;)). So, thank you, whoever you are!! :)

Yo Cathbad. If you want to know who gave you Stealth Votes, just "click" on the 2 votes. And it will reveal who did it.

As for my story: At first, I was mostly moody this month, and I was trying to think up a HORROR tale. But, I lightened up and thought, "hey, just chill and let it come to you...........hmmm. ECHO.........Echo Base? Where have I...? Oh yes........what if......Han and Luke wouldn't come out of the tauntaun after Han shoved Luke inside. And they got really goofy and acted like a couple of silly kids". And, well, you know the rest. I just love to mess with movie character icons. Heh heh heh heh. Yeah, I was giggling when I wrote it. :rolleyes:

Onya, Chrispy. Well earned win. Many thanks to Ratsy for the mention.

CONGRATULATIONS CHRISPENYCATE!

Thank you, everyone, for reading my story. These challenges every month give me a break from my normal story writing routine. These are more for fun than anything else. It amazes me that I made two people's shortlist. Yay!