What classic fantasy place would you not want to go to? And why?

Oh yeah, the Fae!!! A series of stories where science and magic blurs deeply!!!! Thats been a long time since read those! Gerald Terence what a fun guy!!!! :whistle:

Terence was not much fun at all.:eek:

If we're going all science-fictional, Airstrip One would spring to mind. Or anywhere in the 1984 setting, for that matter.

The Warrens in Erikson's Malazan Saga , are very curious and even deadly places, you can travel to different parts of the world through them but that can be hazardous because you never know what type of Warren your in or what you might run into . If it's a chaos warren. traveling down it could cost you your humanity and your soul. A magician or any other entity can derive magical power from such a place but needs to take care that it's not a chaos warren because harnessing that power can be extremely hazardous.

LV-426.
Beside plot contrivance, what posessed you to collonize it?

For that matter any and all places/planets/ships/buildings/furniture that were designed by H.R.Giger.
An artist who, infamously, painted what he saw in his nightmares.

Last edited:
The mugwamp marshes in Narnia, as side from being peopled by the most depressing people I've ever read about, the land itself seems depressingly dull. + I'm not a fan of marshes in general, being mostly sugar, I'm the tastiest meal biting insects ever get, and they all seem to know it.
That upland with the giants doesn't sound much better... Playing with your food, telling it stories and dressing it up...
Lone islands, too bureaucratic.

Leaving Narnia, I have to mention the other marsh I'd never want to visit (although tbh I don't know there's a marsh imagined that I would want to visit.) the Dead one.
The rest of middle earth seems pleasant enough since by the time I got their murkwood would be back to being the Greenwood, and Mordor empty and uninhabited.

Normally I would pass on deserts as well but in Melanie Rawn's Dragon series the people in the desert would completely reconcile me to their choice of habitat. Especially as their castles are all equipped to deal with the dry heat of their environment. Might get a few nosebleeds, but it would be worth it. (I'd probably settle in Meadowlord or Princemarch though. Once my cottage is up and established, my desert friends could come visit me.) Snowcoves I might visit in summer, but unless I'm inured in a castle with friends I'd hate to spend a winter there.

Let's see, where else have I been...

Um. That's all I can think of before breakfast, I'm sure there are others.

The Marsh Wiggles weren't without charm, but I take your point about the Giants of Ettinsmuir, and their, "Civilised," cousins at Harfang.

For my money, Cthol Mishrak - inhabited by fanatical worshipers of a mad god. who lives in an iron tower and keeps the place in perpetual darkness.

If we're going all science-fictional, Airstrip One would spring to mind. Or anywhere in the 1984 setting, for that matter.

This having been not the first time this thread has wandered out of fantasy, I will feel less guilty when I (now) do the same: my choice for a bad place to be is...the Universe!

At least, it was in Cliff Simak's story "Worrywart..."

This having been not the first time this thread has wandered out of fantasy, I will feel less guilty when I (now) do the same: my choice for a bad place to be is...the Universe!

At least, it was in Cliff Simak's story "Worrywart..."

I did say lets open it beyond fantasy settings, so your choice works for me! :cool:

Marsh Wiggles, thank you @The Ace , couldn't find my copy of Silver Chair to get proper names and spellings.

I used to say Earth. But then I found a nice part of it, and changed my reality to better allow for my meness. Which makes Earth a much better place to live now. I'm even considering visiting more parts of it.

Damn you beat me to it.

The Cube from "Cube"

Wherever the hell the "Event Horizon" went.

The Earth in The Road. Where all plantlife seems to be dying, society has collapsed and there is no hope.

Three very unhealthy places . :eek:

Sheyol, from A planet named Sheyol, by Cordwainer Smith.
Earth, in A boy and his dog, by Harlan Ellison.
St. Croix, from The fifth head of Cerberus, by Gene Wolfe.
Hyperion, from Hyperion, by Dan Simmons.

All fun places you don't want to go to.:)

Araboth, built on Indianola, Texas, from Aestival Tide, by Elizabeth Hand.
Woman dominated earths, from The female man, by Joanna Russ.
Cyteen, from eponymous novel, by Carolyn Cherryh.

A boy and his dog.
I believe in some countries it was called: psycho boy and his killer dog. Just in case someone confused it for a Disney film.
I have it on dvd. no effort was made in the transistion. The film is flaky and the sound quality is poor. No subs.
Still worth seeing though.
Both the surface and the subterranium aren't places you would like to spend your holidays.

Here's a vote for Blood the dog as best canine protagonist in cinema.

Back