Amazon Author Pages.

Phyrebrat

www.beanwriting.com
Supporter
Hi,

Recently I've been a bit more engaged in the publishing side of writing because of the updates ratsy has been providing on his Lake Manor anthology.

Although I haven't really given much thought to getting published - apart from not having completed anything long form, I'm not really bothered about it, really - I've noticed that some of us that contributed stories to the anthology have Amazon Author pages. My question is, do I need one? Or should I get one? Am I going to be tied into something if I do, and is it of any benefit?

Thanks for helping me check am balance am oh ;)

pH

I think it's nice to have one. It has links to all of your published work, your site, etc, so that people that like your writing could easily find more of it..

Yep. I managed to link to a couple of anthologies I was in, even though they are out of print, they are still on amazon.

My question is, do I need one? Or should I get one? Am I going to be tied into something if I do, and is it of any benefit?
Yes. There appears to be five "master" URLS.
Do the USA one first (.com), it also allows auto sync to an RSS feed (which can be a blog, but can be ANY website with RSS) and other info you can fill in.
Then UK, French and German. They don't have the RSS feature or all the subsections. (.co.uk, .fr and .de)
The same Amazon login works for all. The French and German are same layout as the UK, so you don't need to be able to read French / German. Put everything in English assuming the book(s) is/are in English.

The only one left out then is the Japanese one, but by default is "filled" by USA page.

It's very advantageous if you have a blog or other website (as people may land on .com first) and especially if you have more than one book.

Okay, thanks all; I shall make this an upcoming chore.

TBH I feel like a bit of an imposter in this matter as I have only one thing published and write more like a hobbyist than an author. But I'll definitely make the effort.

pH

Yeah do it, Ph, it's a handy little thing that takes minimal effort but is a handy little landing page if you don't have any other website out there. And why wouldn't you want to make others aware that you're a part of the massive, world-wide, epoch-bending global phenomenon that is Lake Manor?

I don't think I can link Lake Manor to mine since I was not an author

Yes, they're picky about that. I tried to create one using a book I translated that's up on Amazon (it has my name on Amazon, as translator) but nope, they weren't having it. :D
Will have to wait until Gary's 'Aliens' anthology comes out... ;)

Question: what about other Amazon's, like Canada and Australia? Do they 'read' the US page?

Yes, they're picky about that. I tried to create one using a book I translated that's up on Amazon (it has my name on Amazon, as translator) but nope, they weren't having it. :D
Will have to wait until Gary's 'Aliens' anthology comes out... ;)

Question: what about other Amazon's, like Canada and Australia? Do they 'read' the US page?
I don't think I'm able to link Malevolence to mine - so it might be something to do with the way things are listed initially.

Yes Jo, you can add books to your listing. On the Author Central you add books, they do a quick verify and then you are tagged to it. I did that with Malevolence.

Also with Ebooks you can only add something like 8 names to it, so when I did Lake Manor I tried to add people who had Author pages first. For the paperback you can add all authors. I actually will find out if I can get them to link more names if I ask them. And then the authors may still need to add to their own page. I want to make sure all authors in Explorations have the book on their author pages for sure!

Also with Ebooks you can only add something like 8 names to it, so when I did Lake Manor I tried to add people who had Author pages first. For the paperback you can add all authors. I actually will find out if I can get them to link more names if I ask them. And then the authors may still need to add to their own page. I want to make sure all authors in Explorations have the book on their author pages for sure!

Well, US are adding me. I need to get it sorted as I'm in three, possibly four anthologies this year. :)

Hi,

Recently I've been a bit more engaged in the publishing side of writing because of the updates ratsy has been providing on his Lake Manor anthology.

Although I haven't really given much thought to getting published - apart from not having completed anything long form, I'm not really bothered about it, really - I've noticed that some of us that contributed stories to the anthology have Amazon Author pages. My question is, do I need one? Or should I get one? Am I going to be tied into something if I do, and is it of any benefit?

Thanks for helping me check am balance am oh ;)

pH

BE AWARE that you should use a separate Amazon account for your author page than for your book purchases, unless you have no intention of ever doing book reviews.

Amazon is okay with a separate account for this specific reason. I have that in writing. They even helped me with moving the page once I realized the issue.