Ghostbusters (2016)

I'm really happy you liked this so much, TBS! My wife and I will go very soon...we're quite excited about seeing it! :) CC

I'm really happy you liked this so much, TBS! My wife and I will go very soon...we're quite excited about seeing it! :) CC

Remember to stay right 'til the end, Marvel movies style. :)

Hehehehehe! I'm looking forward to a second viewing, this time with my tween niece in tow! #RaisingTinyFeminists

It sounds like I might have been wrong about this then, and as far as remakes go, it is actually worth seeing. I will see it eventually anyway, maybe just not at the cinema. Do you think it is good enough to get a sequel?

It sounds like I might have been wrong about this then, and as far as remakes go, it is actually worth seeing. I will see it eventually anyway, maybe just not at the cinema. Do you think it is good enough to get a sequel?

Yes, I think so. I really, REALLY hope so. Only butthurt you-ruined-my-childhood fanboys are still railing against it.

The special effects are very good - much better than the trailers led us to think. And the humour is (mostly) spot-on. Plus, the action sequences have their moments - keep your eye on Holtzmann :)

And, um, given the scale and scope of the special effects (especially in the final battle), the film is better served being seen in the cinema.

Like I said - Harold Ramis would be SO DAMN PROUD!

I have just come out of GHOSTBUSTERS (will take my small niece when I go see it the second time around because I just couldn't wait for her school holidays to begin) and here are my spoiler-free thoughts:

1. It is so AWESOMELY COOL AND FUNNY! I didn't know how funny Hemsworth could be - he really does send himself up :p

And @REBerg - That "don't p*** it off" selfie scene with the ghost dragon in the trailer is as funny (if not funnier) than the bit in the trailer.

2. Its feminism is encoded in its DNA in a very real and comfortable way. However, the jokes and gags are pretty much gender-neutral except for the jabs about butthurt fanboys who have been abusive about the film before it was even released.

3. HOLTZMAAAAAAANN! Kate McKinnon is, in the words of an old male friend of mine who was a doubter and is now a fan of the film: "a demented cross between Egon Spengler and Pete Venkman".

The bit in the trailer when Holtzmann licks her gun? The sequence that follows... well, let's just say I'm straight but I'd very happily make an exception for her.

4. All the original cast who are still living are in it in really organic ways and:

(a) You've gotta see Sigourney Weaver's cameo and
(b) they dedicated the movie to Harold Ramis (and he would've been SO DAMN PROUD of the film!)

5. This is the first film in ages where it surprised me so much at one point that my mouth was open and my popcorn was in my fingers like I was frozen and it took me a moment to realise it.

6. Best credits I've seen in a while and the Fall Out Boys version of the theme song totally makes sense now.

7. Be sure to stay right til the end. There's a scene you're gonna wanna see!

8. Leslie Jones' role is NOT reductionist or token - it's much better handled than Ernie Hudson's character in the original film. Her character is much more fleshed out and is possibly the sharpest one on the team when under pressure.

9. Lots of respectful nods to the original but it has its own storyline (i.e. despite what the trailers indicate, it is NOT a blow-by-blow remake or rehash of the original storyline).

@ratsy - You were right: Paul Feig films tend to have crappy trailers but the film itself is golden!
Way to hold back! :LOL:
Looks like I know how I'll be spending a couple of hours this weekend.
I see the film is rated PG-13. Would it be suitable for a 7-year-old?

Way to hold back! :LOL:
Looks like I know how I'll be spending a couple of hours this weekend.
I see the film is rated PG-13. Would it be suitable for a 7-year-old?

Yes, a 7-year-old who likes his or her movies with a bit of scare factor and lots of laughs would love this :)

There isn't any cussing or nudity although there are a couple of scenes where Wiig's character is drooling over Hemsworth's character but that's pretty much played for laughs and would totally whoosh over a 7-year-old's head.

Go ahead and take your grandkids - they'll love the ghosts and gadgets and McKinnon's demented brilliance as female Q.

Yes, a 7-year-old who likes his or her movies with a bit of scare factor and lots of laughs would love this :)

There isn't any cussing or nudity although there are a couple of scenes where Wiig's character is drooling over Hemsworth's character but that's pretty much played for laughs and would totally whoosh over a 7-year-old's head.

Go ahead and take your grandkids - they'll love the ghosts and gadgets and McKinnon's demented brilliance as female Q.
Good. I'll see if we can clear it with his mom.
I was planning to see it on my own this afternoon, as I have the day off. Then, my wife unexpectedly said that she would would go.
Hmm. Don't know if I can wait that long.
Maybe I'll still secretly go see the 3-D version today. Sounds like I won't mind watching it more than once.

@The Bluestocking Ohh. I know you're excited but your spoiler free review wasn't that spoiler free and I now know about a certain cameo I didn't know about before! :devilish:

But the reviews look good, and the banner at Waterloo station in London looks incredible. I'm really looking forward to it. My daughter is too young to have a clue about it yet, or the original, but I look forward to showing her both in good time :)

@The Bluestocking Ohh. I know you're excited but your spoiler free review wasn't that spoiler free and I now know about a certain cameo I didn't know about before! :devilish:

But the reviews look good, and the banner at Waterloo station in London looks incredible. I'm really looking forward to it. My daughter is too young to have a clue about it yet, or the original, but I look forward to showing her both in good time :)

Sorry. I thought it was spoiler-free because there were reports before the movie came out about how the entire original cast (except Ramis) were getting cameos.

So @REBerg - Do you like eating "salty parabolas"? LOL!

I prefer cheesy corn extrusions.

4a7e43f0-2b6d-0134-065a-062f3a35be5f.gif

Looks like we're not alone in thinking Kate McKinnon is the breakout star here.

Everyone Is Obsessed With Kate McKinnon in Ghostbusters

http://www.bustle.com/articles/1724...ghosbusters-is-the-best-part-of-the-new-movie

Holtzmann reminds me a bit of Dwight Schultz's character, Howling Mad Murdock, on The A-Team television series. Consistently over the top and hilarious.

I think Holtzmann comes from a similar mould but goes beyond that because she mashes the spirit of Howling Mad Murdock with the whole "Mad Scientist" archetype.

She's currently a one-of-a-kind character who shows girls that it's cool to have brains an that will no doubt spawn a whole generation of similar women characters :)

And - dare I say it? - her gadgets are far more inventive than Egon Spengler's :p

I think Holtzmann comes from a similar mould but goes beyond that because she mashes the spirit of Howling Mad Murdock with the whole "Mad Scientist" archetype.
Maybe toss in little Doc Brown and a Minion (for the goggles)? :D

And - dare I say it? - her gadgets are far more inventive than Egon Spengler's :p
And more abundant!
I loved the way she used Abby to test her not-quite-ready-for-primetime prototypes. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe toss in little Doc Brown and a Minion (for the goggles)? :D

Ooooh! You've nailed it... though I can't imagine Doc Brown dancing around with lighted injector guns :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And more abundant!
I loved the way she used Abby to test her not-quite-ready-for-primetime prototypes. :ROFLMAO:

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! And it's hilarious how she's always trying to flirt with Erin... and it just flies over Erin's head :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though - she seems to be filled with unholy glee whenever she's inventing and demonstrating her gadgets LOL!