Children's books recommendations

Daisy-Boo

Purr-fectly crazy
Hello fellow Chrons!

It's been a while since I was last here. It's good to be back.

Anyway, I need your help please. I have a 10 year old niece and a 6 year old nephew. I want to get them books for Christmas. I know my niece likes Diary of a Wimpy Kid and she enjoyed the Roald Dahl Treasury and Pippi Longstocking books I got for her some time back. She's a quiet introspective child if that helps any. My nephew is an extrovert and loves action and adventure.

Any book recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm currently reading Fortunately the Milk with Harry (Just 7). Actually he's reading it :D

It's by Neil Gaiman and is a really great, fun adventure all set around a dad who is trying to explain to his kids why he has been so long getting the milk. Replete with time-travelling dinosaurs, volcano's and vampire's - I'm enjoying it too.

(It's just been optioned for a movie with Johnny Depp attached.)

Has she read the Chronicles of Narnia? Harry Potter? Paddington? Beverly Cleary's books? Judy Blume's? The Black Stallion books? Lemony Snicket? Inkheart? Artemis Fowl? The Mysterious Benedict Society (May be for a bit later)? Dork Diaries is another series like Wimpy Kid.

Not quite action and adventure, but my daughter has loved a series called Who Would Win? since she was about six. It's a sciency sort of thing that tells about two different creatures to decide what would happen if they got in a fight: Komodo dragons, tigers, sharks, etc.

On the picture-book side, I highly recommend Locomotive and Moonshot by Brian Floca.

Locomotive is amazing. The language is perfect, especially when read aloud. I can't say enough good stuff about that book.

Hi Daisy-boo. I asked for SFF recommendations for my 6 year old a couple of months ago. Here's the thread.

https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/560981/

There are loads of amazing recommendations so I hope you find it useful. A lovely staff member reccommended the Mr Gum books. They are amazing, my daughter is completely obsessed! And yes anything by Neil Gaiman is a winner with my older nieces. Have fun shopping. :X3:

Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I've earmarked several for purchase. The remaining suggestions will keep me going for gifts next year. :)

images

For my niece, I decided on Fortunately, The Milk; The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe; Anne of Green Gables. For my nephew I changed my mind about the books and instead am getting him the box set of The Adventures of Tintin. Thanks again everyone!

Try Cakes in Space, by Philip Reeve with ace illustrations from Sarah McIntyre - anything from these two are adored by my 5 year old and my 10 year old.