Children's Fantasy Books

Dianora

beautiful disaster
A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway.
Someone had asked this earlier in another thread, and I can't for the life of me find it right now, but if you're looking for good children's fantasy, try "Coraline" and "The Wolves in the Walls" both by Neil Gaiman. You can find them at amazon.com.

'Coraline' is great, Dianora!

Other recommendations:

Philip Pullman - 'His dark materials' (maybe more YA than childrens books)
Garth Nix - 'the old kingdom'
C.S. Lewis - 'the chronicles of Narnia'

If we're talking older pre-teens and YA, there's always Alan Garner's books:

Elidor
The Weirdstone of Brisingamen
The Moon of Gomrath
The Owl Service

Each of these is definitely worth a look.

There's also a book of Walter de la Mare's Short Stories for Children (19 stories), which includes, I believe, The Three Mulla-Mulgars, though I'm not certain. If not, I would definitely recommend that one. Not to mention, of course, Baum's 14 Oz books, and Ruth Plumley Thompson's continuation of the set. All of these, of course, can also be enjoyed by adults.

I had thought so, but then started seeing things that, to my understanding, were more YA, so got a bit confused (not for the first -- or last, I'm sure -- time).... (Oh, Chris is gonna have a field day with that bit of syntax!)

Dianora... loads of children books, depends on how young you want to go. There's Dr. Seuss books and Ella the Enchanted by Gail Levine and Jonathan Stroud's Bartimus Triology and so forth. Most of these books can be found in the Young Adult Section. Even though there is a difference between the two, Children and YA, the moderator's of this fine forum has placed them in this subforum. Where I'm having this thread moved too. I suggest you check out the forum and if you have anything to add, be it for Y A or children please do so!