When to use a singular or plural noun for a group?

prokopton

Science fiction fantasy
1. Phrases that tell your READER explicitly what you intend to do or to do next, or that tell explicitly where to see emphasis, are crutches.

2. Phrases that tell your READERS explicitly what you intend to do or to do next, or that tell explicitly where to see emphasis, are crutches.

----------------------------------------------

1. Trying to impress your READER with obscure vocabulary, erudition in foreign or specialized verbiage, and all such pretension, is absolutely out.

2. Trying to impress your READERS with obscure vocabulary, erudition in foreign or specialized verbiage, and all such pretension, is absolutely out.

Which is considered the standard convention? And why? :sleep:

I wouldn't blink at either of those choices. The only difference I can think of is that "reader" implies a more intimate connection, and "readers" implies a wider circulation. So if I were talking about a book, I would probably use "reader", and if I were talking about a newspaper, I would use "readers". But either ought to be fine.

Theron F. Schlabach, a professor of history at Goshen College, in Goshen, Indiana, prefers READER (the singular) to address a group. Although, READERS sounds more right to me.

HareBrain, I had to read that three times to get it. lol.

It's a matter of taste, really (although one should strive for consistency except, perhaps, when speaking in the voice of a character who happens to have his or her own views of which form is best).

A related situation concerns the choice of singular or plural verbs with collective nouns:

The team, after a last minute win in the final game of the season, is being promoted to the division above.

The team, after a last minute win in the final game of the season, are being promoted to the division above.

The team is dedicating its success to its manager, who's in hospital after breaking his leg.

The team are dedicating their success to their manager, who's in hospital after breaking his leg.
Again, both forms of each sentence are correct, because they deal with either the singular (the group) or plural (the members of the group) nature of a team.

Back