Thunderbirds Are Go Trailer

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
This is the ITV series, yes? Saw an animation of the island a while back, so good to see the actual cast - and especially Thunderbird 2!

Presumably this will be very much aimed at the kids market, rather than the grown ups who grew through the original series. :)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Yes, it is ITV. The original series was shown not so long ago though, and it hasn't aged that much. The female characters don't have much to do and there is a fair bit of cigarette smoking but I know that a friend's children loved it.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Did anyone actually watch the new Thunderbird series?

I tried to, but ITV blocked me from watching it on ITV Player via the PS3, so we wouldn't make it family viewing.

Bugg

A Lerxst in Wonderland
I watched a few episodes. It kind of lost me as soon as I heard the new version of the theme music - it started perfectly with the '5, 4, 3' etc and then . . . ugh! They murdered the theme. The rest of it was all a bit too hyper for me, tbh. Must be getting old :lol: The Fireflash episode was reasonable but that was about it. I gave up after about six episodes. I thought the re-vamped Captain Scarlet of a few years back was more entertaining.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
The rest of it was all a bit too hyper for me... I thought the re-vamped Captain Scarlet of a few years back was more entertaining.
I watched the first episode only, but agree with that. Very hyper!

Also, not letting you watch in Scotland seems to be a poor decision. Can't you get the CITV channel there? I'm sure it is on that.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I've been watching this series on Amazon Prime for the sheer nostalgia of doing so - I still feel a thrill when I hear the countdown at the intro, and even though they've changed the theme music it's still just a variation of the dramatic original.

But...Thunderbirds Are Go is very much a kids program, rather than a family show. My youngest is 12 and she feels too old for it. It's a shame really, as they could have upped the scripts a little to be a little more inclusive.

I'd love to see a more grown-up version of this show, with deeper political intrigue and a developing backstory arc. Something with more of a Tom Clancy angle, perhaps. :)