What are Your Favorite Sword and Sandal Films?

Lasted only about 2 seasons ?

It was an expensive show, like 150 million for the first season.
The first season did fair but not enough for the BBC which had kicked in 40 million.
When the BBC withdrew HBO ordered 10 episodes , for season 2, which did end at a proper spot , Augustus as the last man standing. The show runners had planned for 5 seasons, which could have covered up to the fall on Nero.
There is a story that when HBO saw the final DVD sales they regretted canceling the show!!*

HBO has the option on Robert Graves I Claudius which would make a great sequel to ROME.
(The BBC did an excellent version, but it was very stage bound.)

*It is interesting that George R R Martian did not want Game of Thrones to start while Rome was running since Rome was his favorite show! But GOT started after Rome was canceled.

The Fall of The Roman Empire 1964

This is an OK film, which Ridley Scott rejiggered in Gladiator. At least is a very similar story. Both films get the final story totally wrong , but both did a good job at reconstructing ancient Rome.
Fall of the Roman Empire wrecked producer Samuel Bronston since the film did not do good box office.
On thing done for this film, that no one had ever done before was a massive historically accurate reconstruction of the Roma Forum and surroundings circa 180 AD. If this set had of been saved it could have been a great money making tourist attraction.
forum.jpg

It was an expensive show, like 150 million for the first season.
The first season did fair but not enough for the BBC which had kicked in 40 million.
When the BBC withdrew HBO ordered 10 episodes , for season 2, which did end at a proper spot , Augustus as the last man standing. The show runners had planned for 5 seasons, which could have covered up to the fall on Nero.
There is a story that when HBO saw the final DVD sales they regretted canceling the show!!*

HBO has the option on Robert Graves I Claudius which would make a great sequel to ROME.
(The BBC did an excellent version, but it was very stage bound.)

*It is interesting that George R R Martian did not want Game of Thrones to start while Rome was running since Rome was his favorite show! But GOT started after Rome was canceled.

Ive seen a few clips of Rome and thought it looked very impressive..(y):cool:

Last edited:
This is an OK film, which Ridley Scott rejiggered in Gladiator. At least is a very similar story. Both films get the final story totally wrong , but both did a good job at reconstructing ancient Rome.
Fall of the Roman Empire wrecked producer Samuel Bronston since the film did not do good box office.
On thing done for this film, that no one had ever done before was a massive historically accurate reconstruction of the Roma Forum and surroundings circa 180 AD. If this set had of been saved it could have been a great money making tourist attraction.

When I saw Gladiator I noted the similarity of story with Fall of the Roman Empire. Not a surprise that the film didn't do well because the public at that time was starting to tire of the Sword and Sandals genre .

Night Star Goddess Electra 1963 . It got everything a Mad cult leader who had one goddess statue that fires of beam of envoy that smote his emboss and bring back Roman solders from the dead to do his bidding. This one is major cheese fest complete with diabolical overacting and bad dubbing . It's so bad its entertaining. :D

HBO better keep their hands off I, Claudius! They could never better the original.

Considered the reboot and remake mode and mentality going on in film and television , there is possibility that theywill remake I Claudius.

I know. I just don't think HBO has the wherewithal to do I, Claudius competently.
After the BBC I don't know of anyone better to try.
HBO would probably go for BBC show runners and a great cast.
ROME showed it could be done , that was a fine cast, mostly British.

The BBC version will always stand by itself, but I could see a less stage found version doing quite well.

HBO has done good work .
I'm sure they have, but I've never had HBO so I've never seen any of it.

After the BBC I don't know of anyone better to try.
HBO would probably go for BBC show runners and a great cast.
ROME showed it could be done , that was a fine cast, mostly British.

The BBC version will always stand by itself, but I could see a less stage found version doing quite well.
No doubt you're right. I just love the original so much. They produced such a fantastic series with so little. Spending millions to make it look better is well and good, but it wouldn't have the original charm.

I'm sure they have, but I've never had HBO so I've never seen any of it.

No doubt you're right. I just love the original so much. They produced such a fantastic series with so little. Spending millions to make it look better is well and good, but it wouldn't have the original charm.
That was quite a cast!!

Julius Caesar 1953 with Marlon Brando in the role of Mark Anthony . Superb film. (y):cool:

There's a 1961 film called Barabbas that's okay, but the first five minutes are one of the most startling things I've seen in cinema. It depicts the crucifixion of Christ and was shot in real time during a solar eclipse. A more recent movie I enjoy immensely, though I'm not sure if it counts as a sword and sandal epic was "The Scorpion King". It's no masterpiece, but the Rock is an engaging hero and Kelly Hu (whatever happened to her?) is a gorgeous heroine. Shame about the naff villain, but it makes for a better Conan film than the "official" movies.