What are Your Favorite Sword and Sandal Films?

The 1956 version of Alexander the Great , with Richard Burton, is much better than the 2004 Oliver Stone film, which does not seem to know what it wanted to be about.
There is the need for a really great epic movie about Alexander but don't know if it will ever get make.

Hollywood can do sweeping films with lost of special effects which look unconvincing and good look actors who can't act . If you hoping for good writing with the current generation in Hollywood, then your asking for too much . Hollywood has forgotten the fine area of how to do great epics that are really great. :(

Conan the Barbarian obviously (and not that new version, which sucked), 300, Gladiator. In that order.

Yeah Conan the Barbarian , 1982, the John Millius film, if one wants 'Sword and Sorcery' is the definitive one. No one has touched this movie since, it is the best.

Sure was better than the comic book alternate universe 300 , which really butchered the Battle of Thermopylae. 300 also killed , so far, attempts to make Steven Pressfield's terrific Gates of Fire as a live action version of the Battle.

I hated the 300 , I especially hated how the they portrayed Xerxes and the the Persians. As to despicable and unlikable Spartans, that portrayal wasn't far off the mark because they were hated by all the other Greek city states.

Yeah Conan the Barbarian , 1982, the John Millius film, if one wants 'Sword and Sorcery' is the definitive one. No one has touched this movie since, it is the best.

It has it flaws ( Tulsa Doom was the prickle enemy of King Kull of Atlantis ) but I love this film , It more then does justice to Conan the Barbarian. Its a wonderful film. :)

This may be one of the best prologs in film history:

Yes it is.

The scene where Conan is in the Tomb of the Giant and takes to sword. I love the build up to that scene and the music . :cool:(y)

dum, dum dum, dum Dum dum.

It is by far the best S&S film made to date and the best representation of Conan we have. So far.

They were trying to od an animated adaptation of Howards stat Red Nails but it never got beyond the concept stage.

I remember that. I think I signed a petition to see it developed. They should revive it and have a Kickstarter campaign.

This is one film I would have loved to have seen happen.:(

There are sooo many films I would love to see happen. More Conan (real Conan). A better Soloman Kane film. Better Kull film. Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. Gotrek and Felix. Pellucidar... the list goes on.

The Last Kane story that he wrote A Goth Touch has kane meeting up with Elric of Melnibone one the aspects of the Eternal Champion . I like the story but would have preferred Kane to meet Erkose, Ermizad, and the Eldren .:D

The Kull film was almost s Conan film , They based it off of the Howard Novel Conan The Hour of the Dragon but Kevin Sorbo didn't want to play Conan. Solomon Kane had the right actor but the wrong writer and director. There is comic book crossover in which Solomon Kane is sent back in time and teams up with Conan

There isles a comic series done in the early 1970s in which Conan teams up with Elric of Melnibone

As Fafhard and Grey Mouser , I would love to have seen someone like James Gunn do a film , he would get the character ,story and setting with all their eccentricities and idiosyncracies right.:)

Conan and Gladiator are at the top. Pre-Conan, Samson and Delilah with Hedy Lamarr also come to mind.

I also think the 300 (2006) is right up there as an S&S film.

Conan and Gladiator are at the top. Pre-Conan, Samson and Delilah with Hedy Lamarr also come to mind.

I also think the 300 (2006) is right up there as an S&S film.

Then there are the Steve Reeves Hercules films.:)

I'm no expert on these things, but I've seen a few. The Giant of Metropolis[/i] (1961) is fun for its oddball combination of ancient stuff and science fiction. Hercules in the Haunted World (1961) is interesting for its setting in Hades, and for the atmospheric visuals from director Mario Bava, and for having Christopher Lee as the bad guy.

Ive never heard of either of those.:unsure: Sounds interesting.:)

You know the best portrayal of the ancient Rome is the HBO series ROME.
This , mostly, followed the actually historical events of the Roman Civil war from about 70 to 28 BCE.
(I say mostly because a few characters are disjoint in prominence.)
One half of this show as historical depiction has never been done before, that is everyday life in the back streets of Rome. Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo are ordinary Roman soldiers and we get their story within the everyday people of ancient Rome, it is the damnest thing ...very entertaining.

You know the best portrayal of the ancient Rome is the HBO series ROME.
This , mostly, followed the actually historical events of the Roman Civil war from about 70 to 28 BCE.
(I say mostly because a few characters are disjoint in prominence.)
One half of this show as historical depiction has never been done before, that is everyday life in the back streets of Rome. Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo are ordinary Roman soldiers and we get their story within the everyday people of ancient Rome, it is the damnest thing ...very entertaining.

Lasted only about 2 seasons ?

Sodom and Gomorrah 1962 staring Stewart Ganger . This film is a bit over the top over acted and at times silly but , Overall, It's a good film and very entertaining.(y):cool: