Outlander (2008)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I must admit to this entirely passing me by when it was released. It may be because I thought the title too similar to Outland (1981). Anyway, it kept my interest to the end.

IMDb says this:
During the reign of the Vikings, Kainan, a man from a far-off world, crash lands on Earth, bringing with him an alien predator known as the Moorwen. Though both man and monster are seeking revenge for violence committed against them, Kainan leads the alliance to kill the Moorwen by fusing his advanced technology with the Viking's Iron Age weaponry.
I would say think of The 13th Warrior mashed up with Reign of Fire, Alien, Beowulf and Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

I've also been watching Person of Interest too long to think of Jim Caviezel as anything other than Reese. Quite a good cast though, with Ron Perlman as Gunnar and John Hurt as Hrothgar.

That IMDb plot summary isn't quite right though. He never went back for his own weapon and only really gave them Steel as regards advanced technology. He also never adequately explained why his ship sank in a land-locked lake but as they obviously believe him to came from the Gods, then I guess it no longer matters.

One of my all-time favourite films.

Not watched this for a while but I remember enjoying it. It was pre-POI for me, but Caviezel was most known for portraying Jesus at this point..

It came to mind when the TV series Outlander was announced, and I thought at first it was going to be based around this story! (it's not :D)

I will have to re-watch this at some point and give more detailed opinions...

I have heard of this but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

I must confess that I dismissed this movies as I thought it sounded a bit silly. Perhaps I should give it a chance.