Outlander

The Bluestocking

Bloody Mary in Blue
Has anyone else watched the Starz adaptation of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander yet?

I saw the first episode and was so hooked by the story that I immediately got myself a copy of Outlander and a racing through it now! :D

It's a cocktail of SF (time travel), historical fiction (18th century Scotland), and romance (self-explanatory).

My wife read the first book, and I am about 1/3 through Outlander now. I saw the first free Starz pilot episode and it was really well made. the acting is good, and they have a decent budget it would seem. Too bad I don't get Starz :-/

Brian: So far, the word is that Starz (the cable channel producing the series) still hasn't found a UK channel to take it on.

We're now on to episode 3 - So far, so good. Ronald D. Moore is really doing a great job of adapting the book for television. No complaints from this lassie whatsoever :)

I'm enjoying this show so far! The "genre" elements are not in the foreground, she's traveled back in time and now she has to get on with life. Not overly emotional but definitely more drama than scifi, but it works pretty well.

Filmed on location in Scotland too, so it looks authentic!

No news of a UK network pickup as yet :(

Hmm. I keep getting pleasant surprises with this series.

The latest one is that there definitely aren't any gratuitous sex scenes or sexposition so rampant in many Starz and HBOs series. The latest episode (episode 4) did not even have any! This is a huge plus in my opinion because it allows the story to get on and any sex scenes are basically an organic part of the story instead of a tacked-on shocker.

The adaptation is definitely done extremely well. Big round of applause to Ronald D. Moore and Diana Gabaldon!

Last edited:
I caught the series premiere on Starz and enjoyed it enough that I'll be checking out the rest of the season. The premise is interesting and Caitriona Balfe was surprisingly good. Apparently it's already been renewed for a second season.

I'm continuing to enjoy this show too.. talking of gratuitous nudity, there was an "upskirt" moment this week :D

Glad that the desire for her to escape is being dealt with early on, and hopefully she is starting to move beyond that a bit more now.. Voice-over is still a bit too much for my taste too. Claire is showing that she is resourceful and intelligent, and that she's not afraid of blood and guts which definitely makes sense given her wartime nurse role. I wonder if next week's road trip will give her another opportunity to escape, or cement her bonds with the highlanders

Some brutal gore during the hunting scenes. Excellent special effects makeups.

I'm continuing to enjoy this show too.. talking of gratuitous nudity, there was an "upskirt" moment this week :D

Well "up-kilt" would be more accurate.
lol_emoticon_by_tailsfan97-d3i63ab.gif

Last edited:
Hmm, if they want this to be Game of Thrones then I suspect they will be disappointed..

Intriguing debate though, given how US TV is split between the nudity/swearing and no-nudity/no-swearing channels. Do people only watch Starz etc so they can see some sexy times, and then dislike the show if it doesn't deliver?

We don't have such a split here in good ol' Blighty, but we have a "watershed" after which more adult content can be shown (after 9pm I think). Not saying that's definitely better or worse, but in my opinion makes more sense.. e.g. an AMC show can have as much gore and death as it wants, but no strong language?! Its not as though they put it on at 6pm when kids would be more likely to see it.

Side note, I was in Holland last year and they were showing Walking Dead in the middle of the day on free-tv, without any cuts.. Different standards for different cultures.....

Uh... this TV reviewer is complaining that episode 4 has *gasp* NO SEX:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/outlander-series-starz-episode-4-exposes-shows-weaknesses-378918

Not sure if this is a symptom of how so many TV series now use far too much sexposition to the point where an episode with no sex is seen as weird at best, weak (as this reviewer calls it) at worst...
I thought episode 4 was one of the best yet. I feel viewers like that represent the lowest common denominator. Unfortunately that could also be said about the American television audience.

Well, there was no sex scene in episode 5 either but it was a strong episode because it really took you into the Outlander world (and gave it very strong historical context). You can just feel Ron D. Moore and his team really setting everything up very nicely.

I really like this series!

Ha, the cliffhanger ending was just one of those "oh come on!" moments. But I'm 99% convinced she will say...

that there's no problem and she is a guest of the MacKenzie's... Better the devil you know, at this point.

It was an enjoyable journey through Scotland, life in the villages and the politics of the time. The writers did a nice job in leading us to believe that Claire had figured out that money was being siphoned away as theft from Calum, but in fact they're raising funds for the Rebellion. She was pushing the point of how doomed they were a bit too hard I thought, just before the Redcoats arrived...