Why don't I like this show?

JoanDrake

I am NOT trolling here. I just feel really strangely disconnected from what everyone else is apparently seeing as a vital market.

I have never yet accepted or even understood the main premise of the zombie apocalypse as the basis for even a sustained comedy; let alone a fully developed dramatic series, which is why I have never watched it and probably won't. IMO it's a thin metaphor on consumerism, and so utterly obsessed with its Grand Guignol aspects that it's not even funny, let alone theatrical.

Now, in gustibus is a grand saying, but when everyone else is having TVO parties and binge watching something you find the commercials better than, you begin to wonder how out of touch you might really be.

Can anyone tell me what seems the particular attraction here? In other words, what am I missing?

Particular attraction? Survival. Character drama. Odd defying situations. The alternative reality to our own. A chance to see something else then same old sh*t in fashion of cop shows, cooking shows and everything else that is force fed to the general populace.

In other words TWD has never been about the zombies but about the survival in a world that had gone down in the toilet. A world, where you cannot expect everything to handed to you in a platter. A world, where there is no chance of rescue by cavalry storming over the hill to slaughter the wicked and save the innocent, because there are no innocent people left. Everyone has their demons and everyone face them on their own way.

What ctg said. The zombies provide an ever-present threat but it's all about the people.

Some show the potential to grow and become something they could never be in the old world, relationships form between people who would normally have nothing in common but the threat of danger brings them together. Others descend into their own form of savagery for their own personal reasons.

That's what I like about it:)

:) What everyone else said! AND...I think it's for me (for many) just a genre preference...I don't feel that engaged by vampire stories, or werewolves, but a decently told zombie entertainment really catches my interest. I think TWD is really well done...I think it's really well cast, has great special effects, and is telling a good, engaging story (series of stories); it's not always perfect, but there have been...let's see, about 62 shows, and it's hard to sustain anything at an ultimate level for that long...overall, it's still terrific, IMO. I agree that it is wonderful to see something else on the tube other than cop shows, or bad sitcoms; and I feel that a good show should be rewarded with a large audience for being daringly different (I give AMC a lot of credit for putting a show like this on the air).

Last thought (I swear! :) ) I think too, at least with me, zombie shows seem to kind of touch a societal nerve because it feels sometimes as though the world we're living in is kind of becoming zombiefied...it just seems as though so many folks are victimized by people with zombie-like indifference to their right to well-being, and humane treatment. And maybe we watch just a little bit out of concern, or even fear, of what is happening to the world around us. So, yeah, I really went on there!! :)