Alan Dean Foster

If you're interested in the novelisation process, and ever wanted to know more background to it, these comments from ADF's website are interesting. I shall have to look out for the book, as it doubtless contains lots of trivia.

Alan Dean Foster said:
THE DIRECTOR SHOULD'VE SHOT YOU, a history of my involvement with novelizations, is finished and at the Kidd Agency. All the relevant questions I've been asked over the years, covering every novelization I've ever done from LUANA to THE FORCE AWAKENS, is at least mentioned together with any and all relevant anecdotes that I was able to recall. The book is a bit of a specialty item, so we'll see if there's any interest. Although the manuscript contains covers for each of the books, I would sincerely hope that whichever publisher picks it up also takes the time, trouble, and possibly investment to also include stills from the relevant films...particularly where they would relate directly to my comments. As folks are eternally curious about such things, I felt it important to set down everything I could remember. Now, when that meteor fragment hits me next week and voids my insurance, at least that bit of book-into-film history will exist somewhere outside of my head.

Read two more Fosters. Midworld was sort of my high bar for Foster but I've finished Nor Crystal Tears and that may well top it. I don't know that I buy Foster's thesis regarding humanity's psychoses (at least to the extent he does) and, oddly, I liked the Thranx, as a species, less in this book than I did in other books, but I liked the Thranx protagonist quite a bit and thought it was all very interesting. Back on the negative side of the ledger, the plotting was extremely convenient, but still crisp and energetic. Most importantly, is it one of those stories that makes you think. It doesn't really spell out the concept (or perhaps even intend it) but it did make me think of how, if a human is kept in solitary confinement for awhile they generally go nuts and, in a sense, the human race, as long as it's the only known sentient species, is in a sort of solitary confinement and could be seen as nuts. And that is one of the most interesting aspects of Foster's universe, to me: the Human/Thranx symbiosis (though that is not remotely the case yet, in this book of first contact). You read a lot of alien "enemies" and a lot of alien "allies" and lot of all sorts of varieties but Foster's symbiotic approach is fairly uncommon.

The next Foster I read was The Man Who Used the Universe, which is one of his relatively few non-Humanx SF novels. I suppose this is technically worse than, e.g., Midworld or Nor Crystal Tears but I kinda loved it despite, again, not really liking the protagonist at all, even to the extent that "the story" likes him, so to speak. Some of it doesn't entirely make sense and things do work out awfully conveniently sometimes with a bit too inexplicable and omniscient a protagonist and it may go one loop too many in the "deceptive veils" of the narrative and so on. So if you don't want to like the book, it'd be easy to dislike. But if you do find it all interesting, it's really, really easy to get involved and fascinated by it. It's like a weird blend of Algis Budrys and Ayn Rand and more usual Foster. Basically, a new, small-time hoodlum walks into a place of business with a job to get some money out of the owner or whack him and, 300 pages later, he's the title character. In between, he works for and against his own race and the exceedingly weird and ugly Nuel (a great conception and depiction of aliens) in an effort, in part, to preserve his own freedom of action. And then it moves on to even bigger things. And that has it doing one of the things I love about certain novels: I hate 1000 page tomes that tread a lot of water and hardly go anywhere or do anything. I love books where, at the end of two or three hundred pages, you look back at the opening pages and can hardly believe they start the same book - where so much has happened that you feel like you've really covered some ground. So, yeah: I wouldn't argue that this is objectively his best novel or anything and recognize it wouldn't appeal to some at all but, if anything in this sounds like it might appeal, I would recommend checking it out. And, back on Nor Crystal Tears, I more generally recommend that, too.

Finished Foster's second collection, ...Who Needs Enemies? (1984). It isn't as good as his first and, oddly, is probably not quite as good as his third, either. It does have "Surfeit," which is an excellent tale of surfing on an alien world with really alien waves, as well as "Bystander," which is a reasonably clever and interesting first contact tale and "Village of the Chosen," which depicts the solving of world hunger via better human engineering. Otherwise, the stories were okay or not so good but fairly forgettable either way, even though they include a Pip & Flinx tale ("Snake Eyes") with a Western flavor and the introduction of his Mad Amos stories with "Wu-Ling's Folly" which is literally set in the 19th Century American West (except that it has a dragon).

Basically, while I appreciate Foster's own appreciation of and efforts at short fiction, he is better at novels. For me, there's an easily separable "top 10" from the 39 stories in the first three collections which amounts to a little less than their average wordage and those would make one good collection but all three are just fair and I don't foresee trying the remaining ones (two general collections and two different story series collections).

I somehow missed your review of The Man Who used the Universe, J-Sun, but it sounds really interesting, and as I tend to forgive Foster his foibles, I expect I'd thoroughly enjoy it. I'll keep a look out. It's about time I read another Foster in any event...

Hope you can find it and that you enjoy it!

Coincidentally enough, I've started in on another, myself (and its another stand-alone as well). This one is The I Inside and I've been roaring along at a couple of pages a day and have finished the first chapter. So far it isn't bad or anything but just isn't grabbing me at all. A sort of programmer/overseer is conversing with the Great Computer That "Advises" the World and the Great Computer "intuits" that something unidentified is amiss. This 1984 book feels very Old Computer so far but it does predict Thursday Night Football, so there's that. :) Maybe it'll pick up for me soon.

FWIW, I liked Icerigger enough that I kept it. Which presumably meant I thought I'd enjoy reading it again someday, although I don't really remember it. Twas long, long ago, in a youth far, far away. Hmmm. Maybe that means it is ripe for re-reading now.

Well, that didn't take long. I finished The I Inside last night (I've been swamped with short fiction reading and real life stuff). It actually did grab my attention eventually, when things started seeming to go crazy and it started feeling like a van Vogt novel. However, it lost me again at Chapter 8 (well, it actually may have lost me after that but only because I might have kept giving it the benefit of the doubt, hoping it'd fix itself but that's where it went seriously wrong, anyway) and then it seemed to sort of stagger around drunkenly before reaching the closing epiphany. So, no surprise: I didn't like this one much. (He did give Arizona a football team, though - but the wrong one.)

Basically, a computer "advises" the world. But that's basically the B story in terms of the plot. The A story is about a sort of computer engineer hanging out with some friends, seeing some weird aliens in a restaurant, seeing a flash of a beautiful woman in a passing car, throwing away his life and career to chase madly after her, and then discovering He Has Powers and She Is Not What She Seems. Then other colony planets start getting involved and it's all very significant for the Fate of the Human Race. It could almost be fun - if it had been written like a van Vogt novel in 192 pages with a twist a page and blatantly weird romance, then sure. But this was 311 pages, only had a twist every many pages, took itself way too seriously, and made the romance just serious enough to seem really off-putting. That is one thing I've noticed about Foster - most of his work features no adult sexual relationships and, when he tries it, it never seems to work. Anyway - lots of better Foster to read, like...

FWIW, I liked Icerigger enough that I kept it. Which presumably meant I thought I'd enjoy reading it again someday, although I don't really remember it. Twas long, long ago, in a youth far, far away. Hmmm. Maybe that means it is ripe for re-reading now.

I read it recently and liked it just fine (though not real compelled to read the sequels) but I didn't have any youthful glow to compare that one against, so it didn't risk suffering by comparison. Hope it holds up for you! :)

Haven't read a lot of his stuff but he looks interesting, I like his short story "With Friends Like These", I could be wrong about the title, about a group of aliens who land on Earth to seek help fighting a vicious enemy hundreds of years after Earth was sealed off from the rest of the Universe using a force field projected from the Moon, because humans were seen to be far too aggressive for Galactic society .
They find what appears to be a primitive peaceful agricultural society, but of course things are far from what they seem!

Thanks for linking to this. I read a lot of Alan Dean Foster's novelisations when I was young: I didn't know that he had such an interest in ecology. He seems like a very interesting guy.

I just looked on Amazon and most of ADF's books are not available to purchase in my country, lovely. Same with old Tom Clancy books, only the ghost written books are available.

It only got a mention in passing in this thread but IMO his Damned trilogy was outstanding - and it shows up a lot in Book Search threads on sci fi sites!

I read and thoroughly enjoyed the first two. Never got the third.

I have two first editions to that Trilogy at home, too.

Icerigger is one of the best SF series I've ever read. It compares favourably with Niven's Ringworld first two books (don't bother with the 3rd Ringworld book)

Back in the eighties I read The Tar Aiym Krang which I loved, then I went on to read Icerigger, his adaptations of the Star Trek animated shows, and Midworld, a wonderful story about a living planet. I may have read a couple more but those are the ones that stick in my memory.

I read a lot of his movie novelisations as a kid. Outside of Catchalot and the Damned books, I don’t remember reading much of his own work though. I want to read more classic books so maybe I need to pick up one or two from his bibliography .

Bumping this for anyone looking for some Alan Dean Foster books to buy while Disney is trying to stiff him on royalties.

Just putting this out there, in case anyone knows anything - does anyone know if Alan's okay?
I know for years he religiously provided a monthly update on his website, which I always read, but nothing new now since January. I also know he was getting cancer treatment... I'm hoping he's ok, but don't want to ask directly via his email, its a bit intrusive.