Alan Dean Foster

Thought folks interested in this thread (or in Star Wars!) might be interested in this article:

Alan Dean Foster and the Adventures of Luke Skywalker

It mostly discusses the first Star Wars novelizations, the backstory of Splinter which Bick had enlightened me on, and the upcoming film and novelization which is in Foster's hands again.
Thanks J-Sun. I like to see ADF get credit for what he did do for SW - it always seemed a shame he had to be the unknown ghost writer for the original book, though he always took it in his stride and never complained an ounce.

I heard Alan Dean Foster wrote the yet-to-be released Force Awakens novelization.
Yes, hence J-Sun's link and his reference to the novelisation in the preceding post.

I recommend his Star Wars novel Splinter of the Minds Eye an excellent book.(y)
Most people would disagree with that - its flawed and one Foster's weaker books - though there were mitigating circumstances for some of the flaws as we know. See discussion above.

Most people would disagree with that - its flawed and one Foster's weaker books - though there were mitigating circumstances for some of the flaws as we know. See discussion above.

I read it when it first came out, I remember liking it immensely .

Then there's Midworld ever read that one?

I recommend his Star Wars novel Splinter of the Minds Eye an excellent book.(y)

I have read a lot of Fosterś books. I think my first one was Icerigger.

This has the cover of the book I bought:

Icerigger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also read Splinter of the Minds Eye. I think I have tried a total of 4 Star Wars books. I have given up on Star Wars and Star Trek books. The SW and ST universes just do not seem to have enough depth for the literary format. Maybe it is the characters created for film and TV.

psik

LOL

I just now read the article in the OP. I read that novelization before the first Star Wars movie came out. I was telling people at my job that it was crap. I confess it made a decent movie. Not what I regard as a great movie.

psik

BAYLOR said:
Then there's Midworld ever read that one?
Yes. Do you ever read these threads, Baylor? There is considerable discussion of Midworld in the thread, including my review of the book and my comments in response to other posters on the same subject.

Yes. Do you ever read these threads, Baylor? There is considerable discussion of Midworld in the thread, including my review of the book and my comments in response to other posters on the same subject.

No bick , I sorry I didn't read this threadI will check it out though .:unsure: My copy of Midworld is old hardcover edition , found it in a used bookstore some years ago,

In a previous post, I mentioned that Foster's third collection, The Metrognome, was okay but not great and had surprisingly little SF in it. I still figured I'd fill in the gaps, though, and I finished his first collection, With Friends Like These... (1977), almost two weeks ago and can happily say that this was a bit better and also much more science fictional. There were a couple of fantasies and an alternate history tale which didn't do much for me, personally, and a horror tale which Foster apparently wrote to Derleth as a sort of Lovecraftian letter and which Derleth published. I've read very little Lovecraft (still going to fix that Any Day Now) but it seemed pretty nifty.

The other eight stories were SF of one sort or another and I especially liked the title story, "With Friends Like These...," which was one of Campbell's last purchases - as Foster describes it, a homage to Eric Frank Russell-style "humans uber alles" stories and, for what it is, it's pretty neat. I also liked "A Miracle of Small Fishes" and "He" which is kind of funny as one deals with a lot of small fish and the other deals with one really really big fish. Also, both have a lot of local color (Mexico and American Samoa, respectively). The first is about an old dying fisherman continuing his old ways despite the modern, controlled, mass-fishing methods rendering his efforts futile. His granddaughter talks to some folks, including a preacher, about it, and starts praying for him to have one last catch. And heaven helps those who know people and have leverage and so on. Foster claims to have written the other before Jaws, despite the story coming out after the movie and way after the book (he also has a less effective story that seems very much inspired by Ellison's "On the Scenic Route") and his story is about a much more impressive creature, being about an example of Carcharodon megalodon being discovered in the (then) present day. It's a heck of a story, either way. Perhaps my favorite was "Ye Who Would Sing," which was about classical music, singing trees with special needs, and some criminals who learn what they need to know and some who don't.

A while before that, I also read the second and third (disregarding Bloodhype) Pip & Flinx books: Orphan Star and End of the Matter (both 1977). I really enjoyed The Tar-Aiym Krang, not so much as a "Pip & Flinx" book but just as a book. But it did give me the impression Flinx was Destined for Great Things and, while the second and third were enjoyable enough, they don't really accomplish a whole lot and, on the one hand, don't exactly provide a stopping point like a true trilogy might but, on the other, don't really compel me to read further, either. (The fourth one written is also a prequel, which is a turnoff.) Has anyone read any later volumes and can they inspire me (in a non-spoilery way) to read further? Is there a good stopping place or do they just kind of go on for fourteen volumes and counting? I just suspect I'm unlikely to ever really be satisfied by reading onward, don't want to read that many, and doubt I'll find a better stopping place after now and before then. But, again, The Tar-Aiym Krang is really good and I'm glad I read it, at least. And the other two aren't bad and provide a kind of stopping place. :confused:

Interesting comments, J-Sun. I can't comment on later Pip and Flinx myself, because that's exactly as much as I've read of them to date, funnily enough. I enjoyed them, though they weren't 5 star novels perhaps, and was planning on trying Mid-Flinx next. However, I have read some other works that really worked for me, that you might like to consider instead. I thought his 'Founding of the Commonwealth' books were good. Phylogenesis was a rather nifty sort of first contact book (on an individual basis, not a species to species basis) and the second one, Dirge, gave lots good backstory to his universe in a way I found strangely compelling. Also, have you read the early Commonwealth novel Nor Crystal tears? Its one of his very best I think.

I'll leave it to others to comment on later Pip + Flinx specifically...

EDIT:Thanks for the thoughts on his short story collection, btw - I may have to look for that. (y)

A while before that, I also read the second and third (disregarding Bloodhype) Pip & Flinx books: Orphan Star and End of the Matter (both 1977). I really enjoyed The Tar-Aiym Krang, not so much as a "Pip & Flinx" book but just as a book.

I mostly enjoyed the Flinx series but I read Tar-Aiym Krang a really long time ago. To me, now, the series started getting silly with the end of Flinx in Flux.

psik

I thought his 'Founding of the Commonwealth' books were good. Phylogenesis was a rather nifty sort of first contact book (on an individual basis, not a species to species basis) and the second one, Dirge, gave lots good backstory to his universe in a way I found strangely compelling. Also, have you read the early Commonwealth novel Nor Crystal tears? Its one of his very best I think.

I have four or five books next in the pile before Foster comes up again, but it'll be Nor Crystal Tears for the next one from him. I did also pick up that "Founding" trilogy but probably won't get to it for awhile though I do look forward to it. Just have some older stuff along with Nor Crystal Tears first.

EDIT:Thanks for the thoughts on his short story collection, btw - I may have to look for that. (y)

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy it if you do pick it up. :)

I mostly enjoyed the Flinx series but I read Tar-Aiym Krang a really long time ago. To me, now, the series started getting silly with the end of Flinx in Flux.

Thanks for that. I think I will at least put it on the back burner for awhile. After your post, I did sort of squint at parts of the wikipedia articles, to see what it said about that and other books, trying to get the gist of the thing while not spoiling things too terribly and it does sound like it would be a long road for not a whole lot of bang until maybe the latest book.

He's done the novelization of the current Star Wars film cool.:cool:

He did, yes. But I'm willing to forgive him.

But it puts him back on the shelves in some form. He's a fine writer, This might get him going again. Maybe revive him with fandom. :(

Indeed and that's no bad thing, good point. And of course it's not his fault that the plot and events of the latest film are rubbish.

I did a little research. I read Mid-Flinx also. I believe that compensated for my disappointment with the end of FnF.

psik

OK, I'll 'fess up. I have read the whole Flinx shebang. There was a decided hole in the middle of the series, and while the later books recovered somewhat, it never got really good again. I just couldn't let go, because the first books were so good. What the later books lost, to my mind at least, is the sense of absurdity that makes Foster's better books so enjoyable to read. Instead there was a sense of slogging on towards the inevitable end of the story.

So, while not a total loss, I recommend some of his other books, if you still have gaps in your Foster coverage ...

If you want to stay within the Humanx Commonwealth, I'll second Bick's recommendations. However, I would add the Icerigger trilogy, as they are surely some of the best from this universe.

Leaving the Humanx Commonwealth, there are two series by Foster I'd definitely recommend: The Journeys of the Catechist and the Spellsinger series.

Wow, vanye, you're a real fan! I did like Icerigger, though not perhaps quite as much as some others. I did like the first two Spellsinger books and will doubtless try to find the third at some point. The Catechist novels are not ones I'm familiar with though. Is it a trilogy or series?

I remember C. J. Cherryh (Our newest Grandmaster!) mentioning that her novelization of Lois & Clark made her more than 5 times as much money as any book she had written previously. Thus I never hold ghost writing/novelization against any author.

I have enjoyed the Commonwealth books but I have also seen the drop off in quality. The final book did not have any of the build up or pay off that I had hoped for from the early books. My only consolation is that he finished it and I know how it ends.

@Bick

Don't know about being a fan, but I like a lot of Foster's writing, and if that is the case with an author, I tend to just read her/his output. And it's not as if his books are all that lengthy, so little bumps in the reading-road are quickly overread.

The Journeys of the Catechist is a trilogy. Too lazy to go to the other room and have a gander at the bookshelf, but I think the first book is called Carnivores of Light and Darkness.

@K. Riehl

I wouldn't equate the Flinx books with the whole Commonwealth series. Written only very late, e.g. Phylogenesis is very early in the chronology of the Commonwealth. And I found it an excellent read. Dito Nor Crystal Tears.

Considered by many the very best of the Commonwealth series, I would like to add as a strong recommendation Midworld, one of my absolute favorites by Foster. And if you stumble across it by any chance, give Sentenced to Prism a chance.

OK, I'll stop here, before I outstay my welcome.