What did you blog about today?

Hehe. But what if he were a bigamist and, unknown to her, she was his second wife, and therefore they weren't legally married?!

I've never much cared for Halloween: growing up in Britain in the 1980s, it hardly existed as a festival. (We instead burned things to celebrate the grisly execution of a religious subversive.) However, I do find the techniques used by writers to create fear and suspense very interesting. Here is a blog post about that.

Words to That Effect: Five Things About Fear (and other quality alliteration)

I've never much cared for Halloween: growing up in Britain in the 1980s, it hardly existed as a festival. (We instead burned things to celebrate the grisly execution of a religious subversive.)
I remember one November 5th, fireworks going off like WW3, being asked by two baffled American tourists what was happening. I answered "Guy Fawkes night" and carried on my way. Rather later realised that my answer probably hadn't been in the least bit helpful......

@thaddeus6th Interesting post. You've definitely got a point (or a question, at least). That said, coming from a music background, Stalin's excesses are very well known and regularly taught as part of music history. I don't mean to belittle what he did to Cossacks or the mass starvations--they don't get the attention they deserve--but the overall level of oppression and violence (Shostakovich and Prokofiev survived, though several people around them didn't and Prokofiev fled to the West) is taught as part of 20th-century music history.

As I write that, it sounds pretty anemic in comparison to how Nazi atrocities are taught...

I remember one November 5th, fireworks going off like WW3, being asked by two baffled American tourists what was happening. I answered "Guy Fawkes night" and carried on my way. Rather later realised that my answer probably hadn't been in the least bit helpful......
Fireworks go off all day, all year in China. I asked two Chinese people why and neither knew. I asked an English teacher from Middlesbrough (living in China) and she said Chinese people set fireworks off in the day for any reason, like opening a new shop or a birthday.