Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy...

The Master™

Science fiction fantasy
Okay, I wasn't really looking forward to this... Given that I've read the books several times, got the radio show on tape and the original TV series on VHS...

However, the film is really very good - if a little short... And NO RESTAURANT AT THE END OF THE UNIVERSE!!! :(

There are some very fine comedic parts and no small number of things that, maybe only those with a British sense of humour would appreciate... :D

But all in all, I enjoyed it and would recommend anyone with 110 minutes spare in their lives, to get out there and watch it!!!

Those who have a hankering for the original series should keep an eye out for the TV series should see if they can spot the original Martian ("Your Plastic Pal Whose Fun To Be With!!!") and the TV series Arthur Dent... :eek:

Only a 7/10...

oh my god! i loved the movie...well...in it's own right...the books were the best books ever...but take away the little changes and the movie could stand on it's own...the one thing that really bugged me was that they left out a majority of the hitchhiker's guide entries...and it was also weird that they put things from the 5th book into the first movie...then again it explains things to an audience not familiar with the books i guess...AND WHAT WAS UP WITH RANDOM CHICK?!?! i don't remember a military type girl in the books...that's really weird...anyway...enough comparing....on it's own it was a really good movie...:)

To my surprise, I really quite liked the film. Although it doesn't really stick all that closely to the original radio series or book (and they didn't always follow the same route as each other either!) it is still very entertaining and feels like it could have been written by DNA himself.

A lot of the original jokes are a bit rushed and lose impact which is a pity (they should have either left them out or done them properly) but there is still plenty to laugh at (both new stuff and new stuff).

The vogons are excellent (bumbling, bureaucratic, and appalling shots). Arthur and Zaphod are superbly played and Magrathea and Slartibartfast are spot on.
The special effects are pitched just right - not overly relied on and somehow a bit quaint at times. It was nice to see the use of a simpole earthly quarry as a setting for an alien planet (in homage to countless low budget sf films of the past?).

Even the predicatable love interest (added for the movie) between Arthur and Trillian doesn't detract too much from the enjoyment.

Great to hear the original theme tune being used in the movie although the annoying dolphin song at the start was not my cup of tea. The Heart of Gold as it flits through improbability changes is just great and it was lovely to see that they used Douglas Adams face as the very final image during the last transformation.

i thought the books and the radio series where brilliant. the series was a bit poor but what the hell i bought it on dvd but the film:eek: . i havent seen such rubbish in my life, none of the charicters fitted with any of the others, the only thing that fitted was that you see marvin on the vogon homeworld. there was just to much hollywood influance in it, there was only one funny part in the whole film right at the end the rest is trash. a true work of genius has been destroyed and dont get me started on that dam dolphin song at the start:mad:

It wasn't brilliant, and should have been better, but I actually quite enjoyed it. I thought the casting was very good, as I had anticipated, and the visual effects were great. The jury is still out on that one for me...

Eradius Lore said:
i thought the books and the radio series where brilliant. the series was a bit poor but what the hell i bought it on dvd but the film:eek: . i havent seen such rubbish in my life, none of the charicters fitted with any of the others, the only thing that fitted was that you see marvin on the vogon homeworld. there was just to much hollywood influance in it, there was only one funny part in the whole film right at the end the rest is trash. a true work of genius has been destroyed and dont get me started on that dam dolphin song at the start:mad:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I loved the books, they were just great. The movie, though good, was flawed. It was still funny, but it didn't really follow the book. I would have loved the intrduction of the movie to be same as the book but it wasn't. Hopefully if they make the sequels they will follow the books. It was still good though so I do recomend it.

The dolphin song is the stuff that dreams are made of, and H2G2 across books and films is inconsistency incarnate. Arthur bugged me slightly and they lost a few chances for some nice surprise revelations. Other than that, it was pretty damn funny.

I wish the film were my first encounter with it, so that I might appreciate it purely on its own merits.

I saw this with a friend, who has never read the books (eyes boggle). she thought it was fantastic.
myself, i'm not so sure. they left so much out. and added so much in? the book is relativelly short, so why on earth couldn't they just follow the actual story? three things that really bugged me
*********SPOILERS*******************
1. why is there a need to justify ford rescuing arthur? adams never felt it nessessary.
2.why the need to have a romance with arthur and trillian? he was treated as the underdog who needed to get the girl. in the book each character was stand alone, no need to be proped up by some silly plot device.
3. why that silly almost conspiracy to rescue zaphod? it had no relevance to anything other than the movie, and fizzled out in the end.

they were obviously setting something up for the follow up, which i'm already shuddering about.
good point, the bloke who played zaphod was very good at ott, but why make him stupid? and stephen fry was excellent as the narrator/book.

i'm undecided about whether this was sucessful or not. in a way i liked it. i'll watch it again and cogitate a little. re-read the book (any excuse), and probably not make up my mind in the future.:)

I suppose the first thing to say is that, lacking any knowledge of which changes were made by DNA himself and which after his death, none of us can possibly say for sure which he would have 'approved of', since we don't even know which ones he made.

Secondly, I'm gonna be lazy and repost a review I posted on another board.

The film has its flaws, more of which in a moment, but it has its good points too.

First, the set and costume design, the effects, the cinematography, and just in general the whole look of the film. Near perfect, IMO. It recalls the TV series in places, but has a style of its own too. The Vogons and their ships are terrific - ugly and brutish. The Guide is perfect too - not too hi-tech, with many nods to the TV version. Everything in this department works. This, I reckon, Douglas Adams would have loved.

Second, the casting. Sam Rockwell as Zaphod grew on me after an initial doubt. He has an insane but undeniably charming grin, which helps. The major problem is that he lacks chemistry with Martin Freeman. He still exhibits genial contempt for Arthur, and there's obviously supposed to be friction between them, but it doesn't come off very well. Still, he fills the role well.

Martin Freeman does his usual schtick. He is onto a loser from the start, in a sense, because no-one will ever match Simon Jones' Arthur: a masterful depiction of bemused but stiff Englishness, a man who looks vaguely uncomfortable in his own skin. Freeman only gets close with one line - "I'm English, I know how to queue!" (It doesn't help that Jones gets a cameo, reminding us of the definitive Arthur.) But he does OK.

Zooey Deschanel works fairly well. She's pretty without being stunning, which is what Trillian should be. It's important to note, as I realised early on, that Trillian in the film is basically actually a composite of Trillian and Fenchurch. Once you accept this, the role works better.

Mos Def as Ford is a disaster.

The secondary casting, however, is perfect. Alan Rickman as Marvin nearly steals the film, Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast is terrific, Stephen Fry as the Guide is an obvious but hugely successful piece of casting, even Bill Bailey as the whale is incredible. If only they hadn't cast Mos Def as Ford...

Now, the plot. It's important to realise that this is a different version. One of the problems, in fact, is that the first fifteen minutes or so sticks too closely to the book (apart from a strange musical number with dolphins), and appears to be an abridged summary with most of the best lines cut (though there are still a few classics - "none at all", "I don't know, is it the sort of thing you're likely to say?", "aren't we supposed to lie down with a paper bag over our heads?").

Until we get on board the Heart of Gold, then, you get the impression you're watching an inferior version of the TV series. But the plot then gets into its stride, and goes its own way. New characters, new arcs, new lines even. And I actually quite liked the new story, for what it is.

The script lacks the clever, sharp wit of the original, and doesn't revel in surreal conceptual digressions in the way we would expect from DNA. (OTOH, in the latter case that wouldn't have worked well in a film anyway.) But it is just much less... whimsical than the other versions, which is a shame.

There are one or two nice nods to the TV series - the original Marvin appears in a queue, and Simon Jones plays the recorded announcement from Magrathea.

Overall, I'd say the film was well worth seeing, and Mos Def aside (did I mention he's a disaster as Ford?), is as good as could have been expected.

Third, I think that complaining that Zaphod is stupid is, well, stupid. Zaphod is pretty dim, in his way: that way being that he seldom thinks things through and is careless. Where he is stupid in the film, this is largley why (for example, signing the order to destroy Earth without reading it).

Also, in the film, he loses one of his brains for a time, which doesn't help. But overall, he's still smart enough to get elected President of the Galaxy, steal the Heart of Gold, find Magrathea, etc.

Zaphod isn't stupid in any way - he is a self-styled EGO-MANIAC!!!

He must have been smart to steal Heart of Gold!!! And let's not forget he shares 3 of the same mothers with Ford and Ford is smart!!! Okay, if you remember from the book, Zaphod was voted Galactic President 'cos all the voters thought they were voting for the Worst Dressed Sentient Being in the Universe!!! ;)

There's a thing... If Ford chose his name to live on Earth, what was his true name??? ;)

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy said:
Ford Prefect's original name is only pronouncable in an obscure betelgeusian dialect, now virtuallly extinct since the Great Collapsing Hrung Disaster of Gal./Sid/Year 03758 which wiped out all the old Praxibetel communities on Betelgeuse seven............
.....................Because Ford never learned to say his original name, his father eventually died of shame, which is still a terminal disease in some parts of the galaxy. The other kids at school nicknamed him Ix, which in the language of Betelgeuse Five translates as 'boy who is not able satisfactorily to explain what a Hrung is, nor why it should choose to collapse on Betelgeuse Seven'.
is that any help?

Zaphod was horribly f**ked up. He wasn't *cool*! He was supposed to be cool! Cool as in 'what's the most non-chalant chair I can be found working in' cool, not 'southern cowboy with a mental disorder' cool, which frankly I don't find very cool. Trillian was terrible too - the point was missed by several thousand miles - the relationship between Arthur and Trillian was real in the books/radio series, in the film however it was so ... hollywood - it just made me want to vomit.

Look, BowlerHat dude, don't beat around the bush - SAY WHAT YOU MEAN!!! Jeez, there is nothing worse than someone pussy-footing about!!! ;)

You have an amazing way with words, and there ain't a lot else can be said...

And Ivy, thanks for that sweety... I need to read the books again... :D

ManInTheBowlerHat - in the books, there was no relationship between Arthur and Trillian, because although he loved her, it was unrequited.

But film-Trillian, as I said above, is a very different character, much more like Fenchurch than Trillian (quirky artist-type rather than rational scientist-type). There is at least a basis for a relationship there that simply doesn't exist in the books.

As for Zaphod, at least Zaphod was much cooler than Ford. Now film-Ford, that was not a cool guy. Can you imagine anyone describing film-Ford as a 'hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is'? ;)

The Master™ said:
Look, BowlerHat dude, don't beat around the bush - SAY WHAT YOU MEAN!!! Jeez, there is nothing worse than someone pussy-footing about!!! ;)

People get very touchy on the subject of opinions - you've got to have like, decorum. :D

The Master™ said:
You have an amazing way with words, and there ain't a lot else can be said...

Hurrah! You're my new best freind.