"Look, Stranger" episode guide help

Danny McG

The Federation needs you!
Back in the 1970s there was a UK documentary TV series that ran for a few seasons.
It was titled "Look, Stranger" and showed lots of regional quirks and oddities all across the British Isles.
I think they only did six (or eight) episodes a season.
My Google-Fu is failing me in getting a list of the episode titles, I can only find five in total.

Hi Danny. I've never heard of the show, but I checked three places to see what I could find; might be stuff you've already seen, but might not be, so...

First, I couldn't find an actual, easy-to-read episode guide. But on YouTube, I found a listing for what seems to be a whole lot of individual segments from the series... not sure if they are entire shows or just bits (is it possible each episode, as aired, was less than a half hour in length?). Here's the link:

On IMDB, they have what must be the most confusing attempt at an episode guide I think I've ever seen. It seems to imply there are many more than 6 or 8 episodes per season - ex, this listing for: S1.E15 ∙ Nuneham Country.

Here's that page:

Finally, at Wikipedia (which lists many-many TV series), all I could find is that 'Look, Stranger!' was the original title of a collection of poems, songs, etc by W. H. Auden. The publisher had chosen that title, and Auden hated it, and soon changed it to 'On This Island' for a later edition.
Maybe the TV show took its title from the Auden?

Anyway, not sure any of that will help, but I had a few spare minutes this morning. :) I wonder if some of the episodes are lost to time...?

I watched a little bit of a segment on YouTube... looks like an interesting show with lots of nostalgia value. Good luck finding what you're looking for, CC

edit: I'm not very good at doing links. I'd hoped the Youtube one would take you directly to YouTube. But if you hit 'Play', then click on 'YouTube' in the lower right once it starts playing, it does take you to YouTube, and shows on the right side of the screen the entire list of the segments available to watch.

Last edited:
I watched a little bit of a segment on YouTube... looks like an interesting show with lots of nostalgia value. Good luck finding what you're looking for, CC
What it is, I was chatting with someone who works in The Rum Story Museum here in Whitehaven, (https://www.rumstory.co.uk/) they were going on about the history of it and how it set off as a rum merchant's building with a warren of offices and massive cellars, it even had tunnels going under the town leading to the harbour.
I mentioned an episode of Look Stranger from the 1970s that did a feature when it was still a rum merchant's with two elderly and eccentric sisters running it, they were the descendants of the original merchant.
The museum worker had never heard of this documentary and began peppering me with questions that I couldn't answer - I just wanted something simple like an episode title/number to pass on to them....and watch it again myself more than fifty years later!

No luck with this, I've done loads of searches on different sites and tried various search engines - I concede defeat in this quest!