Not open for further replies.

ray gower

There are four versions of Hitchhikers Guide:-

1- The Radio Play
2- The Book
3- The Tape version
4- The Television Series

Which is the best?

The Hitchhikers Guide is/was a minority sport.

It has been well over two years since the radio version was repeated anf then it was on at some odd times. AFAIK the television variant, thankfully, hasn't been repeated at all (can't stand Sandra Dickinson).

Ive read the book many times, and it gets better each time! I didn't know there was a tv or radio version. I will have to look into this.

The BBC sells the original version of the radio series as an MP3 CD for £18.99. And from the Restaurant at the End of the Universe it is a totally different story.

Where the books started to loose their edge in humour and become more whining, the radio version actually became more humourous and fantastical.

The original tape versions also wandered off in their own direction as well

Now the BBC have converted the last three books of the series into radio format, I will still stand and claim superiority of the radio variant to all comers!

The books win my vote,by a nose over the T.V. series.
But then i have never heard it on radio or tape..:D
And the recent film was a bit of a dissapointment to me personally,but i think that was always going to be the case.
Would have needed a genius to put the feel of books into one film.

I listened to the original broadcast of the radio series back in the 70s, later it was re-recorded on LPs, which were good.
The Tape version was (I thought) just the radio series with some parts edited for copyright reasons, such as Marvin being able to hum like Pink Floyd.
The books were great, and the TV series was good, given the low budget.
I didn't see the film, but heard it's disappointing if you're a fan of the originals.

Status
Not open for further replies.