Night Shade books being bought...

Fishbowl Helmet

Ask the next question...
So Night Shade books is being bought out by a larger publishing company, but (isn't there always) there are apparently some rather writer-unfriendly contract and rights shenanigans going on.

Anyone here in the know about the particulars of this deal?

I just signed and sent in the authorizing letter they emailed me. If I had actually had books publish'd by them and was owed gobs of money, I would be leery about this deal; yet if they go into bankruptcy, will anyone get anything owed them? What a mess. The money they owe me is insignificant, but this news really depresses me, because I love Night Shade Books and they have publish'd some amazing titles. Just the five volumes of the collected fantasy tales of Clark Ashton Smith were amazing and magnificent. And they published the first books of Laird Barron, one of the most important new genre writers ever. I loved having stories reprinted in THE BOOK OF CTHULHU and was planning on writing a new original tale for Ross if there was to be a BOC III. I don't know how much to believe of the rumors about shady business practice, because Laird submitted his newest collection to them, and I doubt that he would have if things had been really despicable. But I am entirely ignorant of the real facts. I was hoping to someday write a collection of weird fiction for them. Alas, alas.