Reading Critically

The must-read book on reading:
An-Experiment-in-Criticism-9780521422819.jpg
1259.jpg

This was, by the way, if I'm not much mistaken, one of the first academic books to speak up so stoutly for fantasy and science fiction, even if briefly.

Here's a passage from it:
tumblr_ldh67iO2yo1qz6f4bo1_500.gif

You can see that it is easy to read, not some dreadful wheelbarrow-load of cant.

Even though I loathe the term, I am an "aspiring writer" if you will. Writer or not, I do not read critically. I read for enjoyment. I can discuss a book perfectly fine from the knowledge I gain just by reading it pleasurably. Reading critically is for critics. And half of them never even open the book before opening their mouth.

I can understand the reasoning behind reading critically, I just don't see any fun in it, and that's the only reason that I read: for pleasure.

I doubt whether it is a good idea for most people to "read critically" a story that they have not read before. For one thing, how can you know, ahead of time, whether the story (or poem, etc.) rewards that especially alert kind of reading?

I think teachers often do students a disservice in asking them to read "critically" books that they have never read, and that they will not read more than once before the designated class meeting. At the least, I think that, if a teacher is going to ask students to read something "critically," the teacher should specify something to look for, preferably something that doesn't make too great demands on readers. So, for example, it would be okay to tell first-time readers of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet to be on the lookout for references to light, the sun, lightning, etc. But teachers who expect students to bring to class reading experiences that are comparable to their own are probably setting students up for unsatisfactory reading. The student may read in a stop-and-start manner that interferes with reading pleasure.

And I would say that any literary work ought to provide pleasure. (Of course there are different forms of literary enjoyment, as there is a difference between a fastfood meal and a meal befitting one's 30th wedding anniversary.) I would say, though, that the provision of some form of literary enjoyment is the only thing an author as author is required to provide. (As a decent human being, he or she should also provide an imaginative experience that is fitting for a morally decent reader, but that isn't a specifically literary obligation.)

Critical or, as I have called it above, discerning reading, is largely concerned with reading enjoyment. There are some stories, such as "The Speckled Band," that provide an enjoyment, for the willing reader, dependent on the experience of atmosphere, suspense, comedy, or the like. Unduly vigilant reading will likely spoil such a story! But then there are also stories that yield satisfactions that readers will experience only when they read discerningly or perhaps discuss the story after reading it with good readers. Many of Nathaniel Hawthorne's stories are of this type. If I were to read "Rappaccini's Daughter" with the same kind of attention that I read "The Speckled Band," I would miss much that the former has to offer, and I might be inclined to fault it for being too slow.

Experienced, discerning readers can, even on a first reading, pick up cues as to how a given story should be read, including how slowly or how rapidly. But a rereading is especially helpful.

Does all this sound about right?

I'm afraid that the entrenched emphasis on Theory in college English departments often promotes problems with reading. Especially given that so many people simply read less imaginative prose and poetry than they could if they spent less time texting, watching movies, etc., it is really a shame to fuddle a 19-year-old with Lacan and Derrida when the student should mostly be reading (and rereading, and reading so that he or she can reread) widely and deeply in imaginative prose and poetry. Conversely, the student who has ready widely and deeply will be much better able to benefit from what is valid in a Theoretical discussion of a work -- and to detect baloney from a teacher or fellow student who speaks amiss about a given work.

This is why i have trouble with readers who think reading for pleasure is only reading entertaining,fast paced blockbuster books. To me there are many kind of pleasure to get from different kinds of books. Some hard to read book or epic poem is pure pleasure if its of real quality because i can taste the fine prose. I dont read romantic era English poets or Swedish poets or Dante and co because i have to for school. I read them for my own pleasure to read different kind of stories. A benefit from i didnt have teachers who forced me to read critically when i was a little kid books,dramas classic ones i had never read before.

Rappacini's Daugther and The Speckled Band is a good description of what i tried to explain. It depends on the story the way you read and what you read out of a story. I would choose to more focused, deeper Holmes story to read critically than that one too. I have learned by experience to analyze, get deeper into to stories after finishing. When i digested everything i have read.

Well said Exo i can see by this post your experience with the matter as teacher.

Oh geez, I left that behind at university and the office. I'm just happy to enjoy a book and be able to share that feeling with others that also liked it. I'm not very good at verbalizing why I like a book, much less be critical of a professional author on it's failings.

117338_sir-arthur-conan-doyle-the-speckled-ba.jpg

Maybe I should say a little more about "The Speckled Band." Clearly it is an eminently successful work of literary art, since it has pleased readers for over a century, standing the test of time in that sense, and since it pleases so many readers when they read it again and again, standing the test of time in another sense. Moreover, it remains enjoyable even when you've come to see how implausible it is. "Critical" reading might, then, address itself to how or why this story succeeds in providing enjoyment, as it surely was intended to do by one of the world's great storytellers.

We'd probably talk about the perfect pacing of the story, the way Watson's narrative voice works so well, the way the story could be regarded as a reworking of very old stories indeed about wicked step-parents and good but vulnerable children who are helped by "supernatural" helpers -- since Holmes's powers of deduction, his courage, and (in this story notably) even his physical strength are so much greater than the human norm. We could talk about how the story falls within that magic 25-year Golden Age, with Haggard's She at the 1887 end and Doyle's own Lost World at the 1912 end, since there were so many other stories in that period that possess similar charm.

See message #2 here:
http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/535117-whats-your-golden-age.html

Yet after all "The Speckled Band" does not reward alert reading in the way that, say, Tolstoy's "The Devil" from about the same year of publication does. Nor do we ask it to.

I'm saying that there are works like that Tolstoy that we can read as entertainment (you could include it in a crime story collection) -- but, hey, if you're going to read, or perhaps reread, it, why not let it really work on your inner powers? What a story it is.

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/t/tolstoy/leo/devil/

devil-tolstoy.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The Judge Book Discussion 104
The Judge Book Discussion 246
P Writing Discussion 9
The Judge Book Discussion 239
mithril Writing Discussion 13