Vikings (TV series)

A deadly season

I was surprised to see two longtime cast members dispatched in such short succession: First Siggy, now Athelstan.

At least Siggy had a beautiful death scene; Athelstan, not so much. I wonder if Ragnar will immediately kill Floki in retaliation, or will he be a little too preoccupied with planning to invade Paris and getting revenge for the massacre of the colonists in England.

By the way, it seems that the correct answer, when you're asked if you have told anyone else some disturbing news, is “yes.”

A deadly season

I was surprised to see two longtime cast members dispatched in such short succession: First Siggy, now Athelstan.

At least Siggy had a beautiful death scene; Athelstan, not so much. I wonder if Ragnar will immediately kill Floki in retaliation, or will he be a little too preoccupied with planning to invade Paris and getting revenge for the massacre of the colonists in England.

By the way, it seems that the correct answer, when you're asked if you have told anyone else some disturbing news, is “yes.”

Floki is indeed the benchmark Viking. Single of mind and purpose. His Nordic revelations parallel those Christian ones of Athelstan. All intentional for the story, I'm sure, which seems to mix almost equal parts history and mysticism.

I don't necessarily think that Ragnar will assume it's Floki. Everyone seemed to have a beef with Athelstan. I do imagine Ragnar will find out, though. I think Ragnar will really go all out now, without Athelstan there to ground him a bit.

And I wonder why he didn't tell everyone about the settlement. Perhaps he wanted everyone to focus on France? Or, didn't want to appear to be a bad leader?

Don't forget your spoiler tags please!

It was a shame to see Athelstan go. He was a great character acting as an audience cypher in the mysterious viking world he found himself, but I think he became much more than that over the course of the show.

I too wonder if Ragnar will go back to Wessex to avenge the settlers, or push on with his raid on Paris? Will the other Earl's be on board with a return to England? Will they just start killing each other anyway - Lagertha at the front of that queue!

I thought it was interesting that Floki appeared to morph into a wolf shape when he walked through the village on his way to do in Athelstan. So nobody actually saw him and no specific retribution is hanging over his head (although I don't think he would care). On the other hand, Ragnar's ritualistic and bloody head-shaving may indicate that somebody besides him will live to rue the day.

I thought it was interesting that Floki appeared to morph into a wolf shape when he walked through the village on his way to do in Athelstan. So nobody actually saw him and no specific retribution is hanging over his head (although I don't think he would care). On the other hand, Ragnar's ritualistic and bloody head-shaving may indicate that somebody besides him will live to rue the day.

Floki's fate also rests on how intent Ragnar is on keeping the slaughter of the Viking colonists in Wessex under wraps. Floki is another loose end in that situation.

The devious mind of Ragnar Lothbrok is a thing of beauty.

He knows full well that Floki whacked Athelstan. No need execute what might be an unpopular revenge killing, however.

Floki is clearly at edge of madness. Just put Floki in command of the Parisian invasion, and his delusions of grandeur take him right into downtown cuckooland.

If those longships sporting the new Floki Wall Breachers (patent pending) are successful, it will only happen because the Parisian soldiers are laughing too hard to defend the city.

It was a fun setup, and just brief mention of how they found their way all the way to Paris. The North Sea crossings have become so perfunctory they're barely shown any more, and this time they found it all the way south, and found the mouth of the Seine? That's some good seafaring skills :)

Floki's creations are some kind of floating siege engines? Or just transported to the walls by boat I guess...

Shame to be left in suspense until next season... I'll do a bit more wikipedia-ing on Viking's vs Paris meanwhile :)

t was a fun setup, and just brief mention of how they found their way all the way to Paris. The North Sea crossings have become so perfunctory they're barely shown any more, and this time they found it all the way south, and found the mouth of the Seine? That's some good seafaring skills

No man, that's excellent navigational and scouting skills. But the thing is that Vikings used to make all the way down to arabia (through Volka) and France wasn't that unheard target for raids. Just take a map in your hand and you'll see that it isn't far stretch from England South Coast to France. So, it's not like they were sailing in completely unknown waters when they entered in channel, and steered south.

Two more episodes actually. So we'll get to see the bottom of Floki's saga. I'm also glad that the show isn't all about glorious wins and epic festivities in Viking longhouses, but we actually get to see them failing badly.

Clive Standen, the actor behind Vikings' Rollo, talks to us about Norse mythology, fight scenes, and historical accuracy in drama...

The History Channel's hit show Vikings, finishing up its third season and already looking to its fourth, tells the story of the first contact between the Northmen and the Christians of Western Europe. The series focuses heavily on King Ragnar Lothbrok, his (ex-)wife Lagertha, and brother and sometimes rival Rollo as they fight their way to power and across western Europe. Clive Standen, who portrays Rollo, talks with Den of Geek about Norse mythology, the pointlessness of sex and violence on-screen, and sibling rivalry on an epic scale
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/vikings...-3-interview-clive-standen-on-rollo-myth-more

What an amazingly rugged group of surviving central characters!
Ragnar bounces down a wall in a tumble that should have reduced him to a fleshy bag of broken bones; Rollo peacefully goes underwater after becoming mesmerized by the Parisian princess who doubles as her father's backbone; Bjorn is hauled home with a pair of crossbow bolts, neither of which seems to have pierced anything important, sticking out of his back; Lagertha is stopped one step short of being added to a new Parisian entree, Viking Shish Kabob on a Spear, by the guy who usurped her earldom and who she promises to kill one day, but not before they “enjoy” each other.

Nevertheless, everyone appears to be on board for another go at Paris.
As a longtime Green Bay Packers fan, I never imagined I would write this – Go Vikings!

Oops!
Forgot to mention the cast member I most expected to bite the big one in the attack on Paris – Floki. He somehow managed to escape what was basically a flaming cage, although he seems to remain a little flummoxed at the realization he just might not be the emissary of the Gods he thought himself to be.

Oops!
Forgot to mention the cast member I most expected to bite the big one in the attack on Paris – Floki. He somehow managed to escape what was basically a flaming cage, although he seems to remain a little flummoxed at the realization he just might not be the emissary of the Gods he thought himself to be.

But I think Ragnar's declaration that he is a man of patience portends trouble ahead for Floki.

Has anyone else noticed that the Viking women always have perfect eye make-up, even in the heat of battle? Can't say the same for Floki.

Has anyone else noticed that the Viking women always have perfect eye make-up, even in the heat of battle? Can't say the same for Floki.
Must be the reason I didn't recognize Katheryn Winnick when she made a guest appearance on Person of Interest -- less makeup. Floki definitely needs a professional makeover, or at least a lesson in mascara application.